Final Proteus Settings:
Revert Compression 38
Recover Detail 22
Sharpen 6
Reduce Noise 17

Not used.
Dehalo
Antialias/DeBlur

Comments: Sharpen literally goes from no effect to over sharpen between 6-7.
I adjust each setting in order working down, then a second time for finetune adjustment.

As mentioned previously, I also carry out other processes before and or after Topaz.

AFTER TOPAZ:
Lift -0.02
Gain 0.02
Tint -2
Exposure 0.06

DE:NOISE
Spatial Rad 2.15
Spatial Thre 4.52
Temporal Thre 4.52

Ivm using Intertake to convert my source into a lossless AVI format. I also activate deinterlace and turn on artifact filters and denoise, if necessary.

The result is usually clean enough to feed directly to VEAI with few adjustments. - I still need to deal with ghosting now and then.

Things wonā€™t be better until they have added some AI to the raw import section of their application, and not just the enhancers.

What is the best Topaz model Saving 16bit tiff at 100% scale for Deinterlace without de-noise/block?

When you talk of topaz use and process of events, this is my first task.
I would think topaz should include option ā€œOnly process where interlace is foundā€!

The only model I have been able to test was ā€œInterlaced Robust Dehalo v1ā€
Other models would not work for me.

What have been your most used interlaced models?
What happens if you use interlaced dehalo model on video without dehalo?
I ask because it might be my only option that works.
I do not even know what dehalo is. LOL

1 Like

Halo is generally a white band commonly around edges where a contrast adjustment has been made to make thing appear sharper (can also be a dark band). Itā€™s more noticeable around light and dark edges. In my opinion VEAI does not deal with halo at all it just blurs the entire image and leaving it to sharpen just makes the halos stand out even more. I think it does the best de-interlacing around but unfortunately all the de-interlace models do additional processing. Iā€™d love to see just a pure de-interlace option with nothing else, Denoise can do an excellent job on very poor VHS video, but it tends to be over the top for most things making skin in particular lose any texture and giving that plastic look.

Deinterlace should be a standalone process.
Interlace identification Setting to Disable processing below threshold.
In many cases only a small percentage of total footage would be processed.

So ā€œInterlaced Robust Dehalo v1ā€ is the best option?
These models that double frames, if I can get to work, could I remove duplicates with ffmpeg as work around to leave correct number of frames?

Share what you use for interlace?

When selecting any of the Dione models to de-interlace you have no control of settings. I tend to use the Dione TV model for old DVDs and donā€™t worry about the frame rate unless it needs some repair work. There are a multitude of tools out there to change the frame rate without de-synching the audio. As I said I donā€™t think VEAI deals with halo correctly so I wouldnā€™t use it. I usually import into Blackmagic to reduce halo after de-interlacing if necessary and use an edge detect filter to de-sharpen the edge halo only and not the entire picture.

I save as tiff.
If number of frames was doubled, removing every second frame leaves it correct.

As I understand it:
You can just choose ā€œCustom Settingā€ and manually change to 100%, to avoid use of ā€œ(Denoise / Deblock)ā€

In such case Dione Interlaced TV or DV models, should only apply ā€œdeinterlaceā€ process!

As I understand it, these models deinterlace frames but also double the number of frames?

Guessing the doubling of frames, is done with copies, not newly processed frames as with fps conversion? Doubt unique frames are created.

Seems to me that every second frame could be deleted leaving what is needed.
What am I missing here?

No, interlaced footage comes from the days of CRT televisions where electrons were fired at the screen to give the picture. For NTSC 720x480i ran at 29.97Hz but interlaced means effectively only half the vertical resolution at double the frequency so it becomes 720x240 @ 59.94. For PAL the 720x576i at 25Hz this would become 720x288 @ 50. This is why on fast movement you get those interlaced lines but not during no or slow motion. You are effectively joining 2 half height frames to give one full height frame so any movement between the time the first set of half frames is taken and the second set of half frames appear offset to each other. What I assume VEAI does it take each of those half frames and fills in the missing vertical resolution from the frames before and after and then does some interpolation to fill in the missing details to actually produce 1 progressive frame. So while there can be duplicate frames where there is no motion in effect, every other frame wonā€™t be where there is motion. This is why you only tend to see the interlacing on objects that are moving.

Perhaps this link will make it clearer What is an interlaced display and how does it work?

Yes, some video was stored on cd with one reduced dimension and stretched for playback, sort of like a poor mans compression.
LOL, when I first come across this I actually did laugh out loud.

It changed the way I process videos.
After seeing how many ways that self claimed expert editors can screw up a film, you never know what is going on until looking.

My point is, either way, seems like the models could be used

I change everything to progressive myself as Iā€™ve seen so many videos that have either been resized but not de-interlaced and look completely screwy or been telecined/de-telecined to change the framerate which then messes with the interlacing and have a doubly bad effect. Once itā€™s been de-interlaced the problem goes away.

Yes, I heartily agree. Also, oo one needs interlaced video these days.

Unfortunately, not all video is easily deinterlaced. Iā€™ve been having a heck of a time with several videos that MediaInfro says are progressive, but turn out to be interlaced all the same. (One of the tell-tales for this is the high number of FPS.) Typically, video with this really is but really isnā€™t video is often 59.9 fps. You would think that a temporal deinterlacing would help, but unfortunately the output is often very jerky.

Iā€™m presently going round and round with a video exhibiting this very problem.

Actually I believe interlaced is used by some streaming services and tv since it still uses less bandwidthā€¦

Well, soon that will no longer be a problem. (I hope)

I run into this too. I mentioned this in another post. V3 fixes this problem. I like to get ahold of interlaced 30fps dvds because DDV does such a good job in 1 go. Most deinterlacers I tried including Dione in V2 will make oddly ordered duplicate frames that you canā€™t get out resulting in a choppy video. V3 somehow gets rid of them completely. Ideally I would use Dione Robust on these because it does not double the framerate and I donā€™t need 120FPS, but DTD does not typically look as good as DDV so I take the 120FPS and re-encode it to 60FPS which is easy since their isnā€™t any odd duplicate frames in there.

If you havenā€™t tried V3 at least use it with Dione on the 60FPS DVDs, it will solve your problem

Most Blu Rays Iā€™ve run into are interlaced as well. Itā€™s harder to notice since the higher resolution makes the separate fields smaller, and standalone players typically de-interlace on the fly. On a PC, using player software with De-interlacing turned off you can tell right away.

The DDV and DTV models donā€™t make copies of anything if using a straight interlaced source. It does interpolation to combine the fields and these are by far my favorite models because if you ever used something like Flowframes to turn a 30FPS video into 60FPS, DDV/DTV has exactly the same effect if using an interlaced video as the input. Thatā€™s why these models exist, a 30FPS interlaced input turns into a 60FPS progressive output and the motion is much more fluid, like anything that is otherwise 60fps.

If you use DDV/DTV on something that is not interlaced or is improperly re-encoded that just looks interlaced, the result is basically a 60fps clip that is actually a 30fps clip with every other frame being a duplicate.

Some of the stuff out there which gets read by utilities like MediaInfo, report as progressive, when theyā€™ve just been deinterlaced at 2x. You can confirm this by playing the video back in TVAI. If any rapid screen motion shows you stripes, thatā€™s the problem. (Another telltale is if the framerate is 59.9fps.) This is when you should really use the Interlaced Progressive enhancement setting. Keep the size at 100%, turn on frame interpolation/chronos and do an export into a high bitrate or lossless codec. - When you import the resulting video back into TVAI it will be truly progressive and you can rescale and enhance and (even change) the framerate

Weird problem with Export/Preview to Lossless video.

When attempting an export to a lossless video format, (ProRes 422 HQ,) a green bar showed up in the output when viewed in an external player. (right edge)

When the above is viewed in TVAI 3.0.3 it appears without the green bar.

The frame below is from a snip using the external player, but rendered in H265 Main (Nvidia)

Hereā€™s the interesting part:
Both of these preview snips were made from the Original 42GB ProRes 422 HQ Export with the green bar.

In no case does the green bar show in TVAIā€™s window

I will be uploading these two preview files and notes to DropBox with the title ā€œGreen Bar in ProRes 422 HQā€
@yazi.saradest @ida.topazlabs

Iā€™ve resolved this problem. The Interlaced Progressive does the trick I went from 59.x FPS to a good 29.x FPS using the Dione Robust and setting my output frame rate to 29.x fps. (I think I also used Chronos interpolation set at None.