nVidia TDR crashes

"There seems to be quite a bit of discussion going on in various forums concerning these TDR/Application has been blocked/Display driver stopped responding/ errors for Windows 10. None of them seem to have come up with a stable/working fix. With this happening, it makes having a graphics card completely meaningless.

It seems that any workload on the GPU will trigger this, though I cannot be 100% sure seeing that nobody including myself has found a conclusive cause/fix for this issue. Many have claimed that it is a Windows 10 issue; again, I am not sure and I don’t think anybody else is either. I have been using Windows 10 for a few months now but this has only started to happen in recent weeks. When this begins to happen seems to differ from user to user.

Before applications started to crash I noticed a bit of distortion and a lot of blue/green pixels when running 3D apps.

I do not know and cannot confirm if this has anything to do with the actual problem."

This is a cut-and-paste from another forum - I have had my GeForce 2070 for 3 months now - and it is crashing when using PS and Studio! People seem clueless as to what to do about it!!! :frowning:

I have been online with nVidia support and they advised Creator Drivers for Application use - but they still crash - Photoshop is fine, but when I open Studio, the system crashes, and the cooling-fan goes into overdrive!!!

The TDR timeout, which defaults to 2 seconds, is a valuable layer of protection that stops the system from freezing and recovers to a functional desktop by resetting the card.

You can alter the settings in Windows 10 but it is not advisable because debugging on some GPUs will fail with a setting of less than 10 seconds. TDRs are also dependant on the GPU and debug builds of CUDA kernels will run more slowly and may require additional time to complete.

The only way to properly cover TDRs is to specify in the report the GPU, the amount of dedicated vRAM and exactly what caused the TDR. It is also advisable to run the app that you think is causing the TDR on its own and not as a plugin from a host.

Isolating the app, settings and the input will possibly make it repeatable.

I can assure you the Creator and Game editions will have no effect except when overclocking the GPU.

I have discovered that it is heavily 3D-dependent apps which are causing the shutdown. And also to my chagrin (from nVidia’s own forums) that the GeForce RTX 2070 is an ‘exceedingly crap card’ - a design failure. My suspicions are that I should have waited for a later version or implementation! Surfing the net, reading websites and watching video/listening to music - and all is OK. It’s just the high-powered apps which are causing the crashes.

C’est la vie :frowning:

1 Like

Congratulations Don, I didn’t understand anything you said. TDR? (Totally Disastrous Reset) Hopefully, Radeon cards don’t have TDRs.

Today I have sent my PC back to the manufacturer - at powerup the cooling-fan is at full blast - and there is no video.

I am now using my “future-proof” i7, 16Gb RAM, 4Gb VRAM laptop 
 cosying-up to snail-pace again :slight_smile:

1 Like

They may cause one though as a TDR is a Windows setting to help stop BSODs by resetting the GPU when there is an issue of long delay. Applies to all GPUs.

1 Like