Normal and Strong v2 Model Discussion

I feed the that v2 models remove to many details in dark areas - I perfer to keep a bit noise over having a completely flat area. Also, I miss the “Recover Original Detail” from the old DeNoise IA.

1 Like

Why does noise reduction not automatically turn on in a picture that is about 1250 ISO, just sharpening in autopilot settings. When activated the v2 settings work a little better than the original if zoomed in.

1 Like

Recently I have used Topaz Photo AI to reduce some noise on a few shots of bald eagles. The original images are in the ISO range of 300-1000. I have compared Normal noise reduction and the Normal V2 beta and have noticed on autopilot settings that the V2 makes the heads look too smooth and adds weird artifacts to the bird. I have been selecting and using the Normal and not the V2 as I feel that the V2 is making the results look fake.

2 Likes

Hi, I find Strong v2 to be less effective than plain Strong as it leaves grain patches here and there randomly. Perhaps it’s not ready for prime time yet? Otherwise happy with most of the functions of PhotoAI. Folks just need to play with the sliders and go for the minimum amount of noise reduction and sharpening possible.

I’ve loved what PhotoAI can do to my noisy images. However, both of the “v2” versions smear my foreground elements in shadow areas on my attached examples. The original versions (both Normal and Strong) do not. Moving the sliders around had a negligible impact on the smearing. I do prefer the star field results with the beta versions.

Normal

Normal v2

Strong

Strong v2

3 Likes

By pre-denoising you have sacrificed the colors of the Milky Way (you have denoised the colors before, looks like Lightroom or the technique of adobe).

Astro images are not completely uncritical.

TPAI manages to de-noise the image, with Model Strong V2 if you set it to very low values (applies to both new models), if you don’t do a pre-denoise.

My image is a 20 minute exposure (10x 2 min) at ISO 800 with a startracker.
( Skywatcher - Star Adventurer 2i Wi-Fi Photo)

The image was stacked with Astro Pixel Processor, it is a mosaic of 3 shots taken with an EOS R3 and the Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART at f/4.

I refined the image with DxO Nik Collection 6 (Color Efex 6, Pro Contrast filter).

If you want to have the floor in the image, no problem, make a 20 minute exposure for it and stack it with Affinity or Siril and then mask it in, I haven’t tested the stacking for the floor with APP yet.

APP is able to remove light pollution to some degree.

I denoised it with TPAI enhance standard (2x enlarge) because it doesn’t change the shape of the stars, keeps the colors well and the sharpness increases when you reduce the image back to the original size.

I’m still in the research process with Astro images.

Procedure: Stack with APP (see below) → cut & rotate with ACR → enlage with TPAI (enhance standard) → PS (editing).

Astro Pixel Processor (APP)

I agree completely.

I feel like V2 still needs work before it’s the only version. I’m having to build 2 layers and composite them afterwards. The normal setting works nicely for fur, but the Normal V2 creates artifacts in certain areas of fur making it look fake and air brushed.

Strong 2 noise model has a tendency to enhance image artefacts, like block noise and scan-lines etc.

In this case I prefer original denoise. V2 destroyed the pattern in the jacket in this test.

1 Like

My issue is the new v2 is destroying detail and texture that no matter what setting I choose it cannot be fixed so I guess the previous was my last update
Check out the lack of detail in the windows

4 Likes

Please do NOT make V2 the only option and remove the normal mode. Altho V2 has it’s benefits in some circumstances, I find it to be too overpowering in delicate details in images. For example, the edge detail in the wings of hawks, falcons and eagles, are lost and blurred out with the V2 option, yet enhanced with the normal mode. I paid for Topaz based on my discoveries using normal before purchase. I would not want it if V2 was the only option, and would probably discuss a refund if it went that way since I am very very new to the program.

2 Likes

Same here…
Remove Noise Normal v2 is in some cases much worse on skin than v1. It produced more artifacts on quite noisy arms. I can post an example.

1 Like

As a wildlife photographer, my observation is that version 2 absolutely kills detail, even decreasing the noise reduction and increasing detail via slider. I observed this last week when editing bird photos and tonight when editing a dragonfly photo. All of the little “hairs” on the dragonfly’s legs disappear in v.2, but reappeared after switching back to the old version. That’s not acceptable.

3 Likes

Yes, Agree. A lot of customers above have said the same thing.

1 Like

I use Photo AI mainly for people photos - it does not treat wildlife and landscapes very well, yet. But for people it does a great job until it comes to their clothing. The AI has problems discerning textures in clothing (knits, corduroy, etc.) from noise. It will smooth out the natural lines in knit material in some places while leaving the lines in other places. The same goes for thin stripes in shirts or suits. This makes for a very “fake” looking or botched photograph.

It would be great to get the AI trained to know clothing textures from noise.

1 Like

I read several of the replies to this topic, and I agree that for many of my images “Normal” works better and retains more detail than “Normal V2”. I would prefer that normal be retained or Normal V2 be modified to do a better job of retaining fine detail on high ISO images, which require high settings in Normal V2.

LowLight does smear details away, Strong V2 does not.
But Spaceclouds are clouds and not detail, but you can stack those filters and get the best out of it.

I had this issue with strong V2?

Peter - Not that I can do anything about it, but was that repeatable? What file format is the original (just curious)? Does it do it with ‘Enhance Res’ switch off (again, just curious)?

Also - Which release of Photo AI (PAI) are you using & got that result with? You didn’t include it in the snip (I don’t think…).

Here’s what I got with Rel. 1.3.11 of Photo AI - trying the different Denoise model options in the current release - you can see which denoise model I used in my filenames or by expanding the snips and looking in the righthand Settings panel. Have you tried your entomology images with the current release of Photo AI?

I used Motion Blur for the Sharpen setting. And I didn’t turn on Enhance Res (b/c I typically don’t like what it does to my images…). BTW, I also did not adjust Brightness in any way - the diffs. in the images are what appears in PAI.

There are three updates available so I am updating. I had shut down and then re-opened and it was not repeatable.

1 Like