New release of Video AI has new issues for me with slow motion video

Hi All,

I upgraded to the current version of Video AI (V3.0.12) and created some 2x and 4x slow motion videos of 1080p 29.97 fps video. I kept the output video resolution and frame rate to original, no Stabilisation, Frame Interpolation to 2x or 4x, no Enhancement and no Grain. Set encoder to ProRes 422 LT, container to mov and audio to Auto.

I have used these setting previously to create buttery smooth slow motion videos from Topaz Video AI but this time I get these two issues:

• Using Apollo AI model - I get little pauses in the video about 5 frames every second. This is my first time using Apollo, so I have no history to see if this is a new issue or not.

• Using Chronos, I get a lot of glitching in the output video, I have used this model previously and not had this issue before.

Does anyone have similar experiences with slow motion video in Video AI? If so, do you know if a way to resolve these issues?

Cheers,
Paul

I just did a similar sounding video. I had to deinterlace it first, then I noticed it had a duplicate frame every fifth frame. I ran it through Chronos Fast interpolating to 59.94 FPS, but that preserved the duplicate frames, maybe even added more because of the higher frame rate.

Everything I read online is very confusing. It sounds like this is just standard NTSC DVD frame rate. Transcoding the video in ffmpeg with -r (Rate) set to 23.976 seems to drop the fifth frame correctly.

Thanks for your reply ForSerious. I am using digital video I shot at 1080p 29.97 fps, so I don’t need to de-interlace it. TopazAI is now creating 4 duplicate frames every 10th frame. It never used to do this, must be some sort of weird bug.

Are there duplicate frames in the original?
Like you said, my video was different. It was originally 23.976 FPS. I thought I had fixed it with that transcoding, but I was wrong. What worked was using Chronos fast to lower the FPS from 29.97 to 23.976. From there, Chronos Slomo and Apollo worked without creating duplicates.

There are no duplicate frames in the original. I got the original video and did just a slow motion conversion, no upscaling and no frame rate conversion. The output file introduced duplicate frames.

The only other idea I have is, I always output to images so that the frame rate doesn’t matter. When I encode it back into a video, that’s when I choose the frame rate. Of course, I use slomo to increase the frame rate. I do that because it causes less artifacts than the fast option that is meant to increase frame rate.
I feel like it shouldn’t make a difference if you want to keep your video in slow motion.

Thanks ForSerious, that is an interesting suggestion, not sure if I know exactly the process you are talking about though.

I use Premier Pro CC and I know how to export to images. But what do I then do after that?

Output to images in TVAI. Then you should be able to use Premier to make them back into a video at the desired frame rate.

I don’t know that that will fix your issue, but that’s what I have always done and I have never noticed any duplicate frames.

Thanks, I did that, but same problem, I can see the duplicate frames in the JPEG sequence.

Sorry, I’m all out of ideas. You can upload a clip from the movie to the Topaz dropbox on the main 3.1.0 release topic. Explain the issue there. (Like in a txt file zipped with the clip.)

How very strange. Sorry to hear that.

I just downloaded the current version, it has greatly reduced the duplicate frames now that there is an option to adjust for sensitivity to duplicate frames.