I intend to re-capture my source content before using Topaz. I’m looking at 720x480 footage, and as I capture it, I have the option of encoding via H.264, AV1, or HEVC. Will Topaz be impacted much by my selection? Is it more bitrate dependent?
I gleaned Topaz encoder supported pixel formats but not decoder formats.
Side note: I’m capturing Rec. 2100 (HLG) to replicate the analog color. It’s a bit overkill, but 709 & 601 produced awful results. This can be formatted as:
- P010 (10-bit, 4:2:0, 2 planes) leaning towards this unless Topaz has changed since this point
- P216 (16-bit, 4:2:2, 2 planes)
- P416 (16-bit, 4:4:4, 2 planes)
The following post was really interesting, but a bit outdated, and since it’s locked I couldn’t ask any clarifying questions sadly: https://community.topazlabs.com/t/topaz-video-ai-v3-0-9/38102/107?page=6
- TVAI(3.x.x) seems to be internally processed in rgb48le(R:G:B 16bit)? @TicoRodriguez
- TVAI only supports 2x or 4x
any suggestions for 2/4x my import resolution?
Again, my biggest source of confusion stems from whether to encode captures at H.264, AV1, or HEVC prior to using Topaz. I’m not targeting lossless archival grade footage, but I would like to retain some decent color grading this time around.