Multiple exposure play

been playing with creating double exposure images in camera and in software. Now I have to choose a couple to submit for monthly camera club competition … Help ?? :slight_smile:

Old and wise

Barrel racer

Step down

Country girl

Zen snails (in camera)

Doge’m derby (in camera)

The Fallen (in camera)

15 Likes

I like the barrel racer best then the Old and Wise .

1 Like

I love the first one and also the girl in the cowboy hat.

2 Likes

Hmmm- tough choice! ‘Old & wise’ as a favourite and then ‘The Fallen’. Good luck!

1 Like

Awesome work Sharon …

1 Like

Amazing … I personally think the Old & Wise as it a great example with a lot of personality showing.

1 Like

Country Girl is my favorite. It’s a great portrait. Her contemplative expression is one that can connect with the viewer. I think your choice of monochrome and the subtle softness of her image intensify her emotion. And, the double exposure works well here; as a dream or a memory, it has a direct relationship with her.

I also think this image could work well with a square format with any cropping taken only from the white space at the top and left.

3 Likes

My top two are Barrel Racer and On& Wise.

1 Like

Man with Tree and Cowgirl with Windmill would be my choices.

But, having been in photo clubs in the past I grew to know what the judges would like and be looking for and, typically, what they’d comment on. In fact, that motivated me to stop going b/c I was creating pics I knew they’d like vs what I liked… Do you see a pattern to what your judges resonate with that would make you gravitate more to one of this set?

Here’s my personal reactions to the others… take with grain of salt (everyone has own perceptions!):

• Too much going on with the rodeo (?) horses one (or else burn/darken the background more to give a hint of what’s there and keep focus on the foregrnd riders)
  • Slinkies are cool, but don’t give a particularly double exposure effect to me (plus may need a bit of cropping on left, right, top to reduce some of the negative space)
  • Snails kinda ditto the horses for me - feels like a bit much fighting each other and for some reason the upside down one on the right makes me feel as though the “horn” on his head is directing my eye out of the frame
  • Bumper cars suggest motion but just feels a tad chaotic for my taste. Someone else might love that feeling of the cars really smashing around off each other… But the colors feel a touch muddy to me too
  • Dice are sorta like the slinky image, to me - it’s kinda a neat effect but something is making me feel as though it’s not enough to hold attn.

This may be way more than you wanted to hear. Sorry! I think you triggered my photo club juices again!

3 Likes

I agree with Fotomaker’s assessment - both choices and critiques. On the Country Girl, I wonder if there is too much negative space on the left (?) and maybe bring the windmill up a bit in visibility.

Thanks for sharing these, Sharon: you’ve whetted my appetite to try this!

1 Like

Exactly why I didn’t pick that one. The barrel race show action well.

1 Like

For me Old and wise and dodge’m derby.
The others are not ‘talking’ to me.
Good luck for your competition

1 Like

They are all very creative, the first is my favorite

1 Like

That would be a gd experiment! I don’t mind the space to the left that much - it’s a specific look that I’ve seen in the past & think works for portraits with a certain mood. I wouldn’t crop tight or it would change the effect you’re going for… You create a really nice variety of photo art, from across your posts!

2 Likes