Multi GPU NVIDIA in Topaz Photo AI

Hi, will Topaz AI use multiple NVIDIA GPUs ?
I have 4 x Titan X (pascal)
could be great!
tkx in advance

1 Like

Good question you can use the demo of Neat Video AI and test it out.
In the program pref you can set it to all GPUs and play around with the Max processes, and then do some benchmarks under Process or CTRL+B.
If you do some tests at 1080 and 4k please stop back and post your results in this thread so we can all see, dying to know how Topaz does with mutli GPUs Thanks!! -J3D

If you want to choose the AI processor, go to Edit > Preferences > General > AI processor.

For users on Mac, it’s the Topaz Photo AI menu option > Preferences > General > AI processor.

In the software one can specify for the AI processor: Auto, CPU and in my case there are two TITAN RTX options. There is no ability to specify both GPUs. Looking at my Photo AI batch job running, “Auto” binds to one of the GPUs and does not task load over both. For software to take advantage of multiple GPUs, it has to be written in a way to do this (I used to be a programmer). As I am using Photo AI, it would be useful for both of my GPUs to be used; in the case of Video AI I would imagine this to be more of a case. Maybe this feature can be added in the future. I have some video editor friends who have four GPUs in their systems. When I use my video editor by Blackmagic Design, Davinci Resolve Studio, it takes advantage of both of my cards which greatly speeds up effects & rendering

In the software one can specify for the AI processor: Auto, CPU and in my case there are two TITAN RTX options. There is no ability to specify both GPUs. Looking at my Photo AI batch job running, “Auto” binds to one of the GPUs and does not task load over both. For software to take advantage of multiple GPUs, it has to be written in a way to do this (I used to be a programmer). As I am using Photo AI, it would be useful for both of my GPUs to be used; in the case of Video AI I would imagine this to be more of a case. Maybe this feature can be added in the future. I have some video editor friends who have four GPUs in their systems. When I use my video editor by Blackmagic Design, Davinci Resolve Studio, it takes advantage of both of my cards which greatly speeds up effects & rendering.

If they have not thought of this at the outset then they are in for a significant rewrite unless they are leveraging NVIDIA’s libraries as they should. I have received communications from the the dev’s on a bug I reported and they were surprised that I was using the the Studio Drivers over the Gaming Drivers. More surprised when I stated that I got better processing speeds under those drivers.

I was told by Topaz, “…that we’re adding a number of improvements to how the app uses the computer’s GPU, especially higher end ones that are dedicated for AI processing.” It is difficult to say if this will mean support for multiple GPUs. If one looks at the NVIDIA documentation, they recommend 1 to 8 GPUs for graphics and 4 to 8 GPUs for rendering. Alas, my current HP workstation can only take two. I do audio, photo & video editing and have used both the NVIDIA Gaming as well as Studio drivers, I settled on the Studio drivers for stability is worth a slight hit in performance. There is nothing worse than a crash during a render which takes many hours to run.

At the moment my biggest issue with Photo AI is its inability to save manual settings, much like one can do in Photoshop’s macros. At present, I doing a print screen to save an image of my settings. In the past, I have been a programmer of Windows applications (neural networks, polynomial networks, simulators), adding some sort of settings save feature in the Topaz products should not be difficult. They could just be an INI file, for which Microsoft has an API to work with.

NVIDIA Data Center GPUs.zip (35.0 KB)