Morning Coffee with Palette Knives

Painter 2019 (Heavy Textured Palette Knife and, TS1 (Clarity). Let me say that working with palette knives is a challenge but I actually surprised myself with this. I’m struggling with understanding how the layers in Painter works. I have to save and save often. YouTube tutorials on Layers are in my future. A

nd I’ll be damned if I could get the Grainy Smooth Blender to work. Argh!

19 Likes

That is quite realistic and heavy as palette knives would be, art is a gift …

1 Like

Doug, I tested the Grainy smooth blender. It is in the Thick paint category and apparently you have to first paint with one of the brushes in thick paint then you can use the Grainy smooth blender on the thick paint in that layer. If you want to paint (instead of blend) with that brush, go to the Thick Paint settings and adjust the Paint load up, this put paint on the brush.
Nice work on the coffee cup.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the help. I revisited this work and found the problem was that I was on a layer above the layer I wanted to blend. I couldn’t see the forest through the trees. Small steps right? Again, thank you.

I too am beginning to learn Painter. The first video I saw I was very interested in the Impasto look - the killer phrase was that if you want Impasto - Artrage is much better at that!!! :smiley:

@Torcello To get more Impasto depth in Corel Painter go to Effects > Apply Surface Texture > use Image Luminance and keep the softness very low.

1 Like

Really a cool painting.
Have you checked out the Thick Paint category yet? It looks and feels like real oil? Also check out Skip Allen blog it will give a lot of good info on Painter. https://skipallenpaints.com/ Skip even has free brushes and tutorials. Paint has a high learning curve so you might want to take one of his classes. His Painter 2019 class is one of the best.

1 Like

Yes, the Heavy Textured Palette Knife, was from the Thick Paint group. I found a great YouTube lesson from Karen Bonaker on Loose and Expressive Thick Paint which inspired me to paint this image. I will check out Skip’s class. Thanks for the tip. Mahalo Nui!

1 Like

Karen Bonaker is another fabulous teacher, I been taking classes with her and Skip for years. Karen has a community of artists from beginning to advanced, so check out the Digital Art Academy Community. You will find tips and videos as well as getting your questions answered. Maybe I’ll see you there.

1 Like

Wonderful technique and very inspiring work.
Also very interesting discussion

1 Like