More AI Sharpen Feedback

I saved it as a TIFF from Sharpen AI

Give me an hour or 2 and Iā€™ll check it when I get back to my PC. It may be connected with the EXIF problem.

Iā€™ll get back to you.

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

Trying to go to Sharpen AI from Studio doesnā€™t work. It says Studio quit, but it didnā€™t, and the photo did not go to Sharpen. Also, when I do manage to get a photo into Sharpen AI from Lightroom, it starts processing without giving me a choice of the 3 different methods. It also doesnā€™t have an option to see the whole photo at once. Moving the navigation box around makes it start sharpening all over again, for quite a while. It seems to sharpen well, but sure needs some improvement.
Also, AI Clear, which I used to love, does not work any more. It does its normal great job, but will not ā€œApplyā€, so the photo canā€™t be saved and itā€™s useless.

To control the preview update simply change the Automatically Update Preview on the bottom right of the parameters panel to No (after you have opened an image) and it will remember for your next session. Then you select your processing method (SHARPEN is the default) and then you can press Update Preview at any time you are in the area you want to look at.

If that didnā€™t happen you would need to wait a long time as the preview is only updated for the area you are looking at. Updating the preview of the whole image so you could pan that would long as it takes to save the final output.

Iā€™m not sure what you mean by that.

If you are on a Mac there is a issue that has been reported and you will need to wait a bit.

Thank you. For AI Clear, I can use it on a photo and it works beautifully. But when I go to ā€œApplyā€ it (flatten it), the effect is gone on the applied version. It used to work, but the effect is not there after Apply anymore. Iā€™m not sure if this happened after the last update to AI Clear or not.

Hi, I just tried with a AdobeRGB input image (TIF) and then a Save as using the same parameters and can see no difference. The input image is the top and the output on the bottom part of the screenshot below:

I checked in both Affinity Photo, Photoshop CS6 and then just displayed in Windows Photos and Photo Viewer and couldnā€™t see a difference.

Can you tell me what application you were using to view the images?

i viewed them in Photoshop CS6, I am on a Mac, version 10.12

I also donā€™t see Sharpen AI in Affinity Photo.

Iā€™m not seeing that happen here on Windows 10 and with v1.14.2 of Studio (the latest).

You can try the following if your Studio version is up to date (otherwise update first, Help-> Check for software updates):

• First thing to try: Help-> Check for Adjustment updates, then exit and restart Studio and see if that makes a difference.
  • Secondly you can try by doing a reset of the local database. Go to Help-> Reset local database and see if that works.
  • Be warned though that this will delete any presets you have created so you would need to create a TSP file for each of your personal presets by applying your preset to an image and then save that as a TSP (project) file. Later you can then open the TSP files and then resave the effects as a new preset.

You have to add it manually as a Photoshop Plugin, through Ddit-> Preferences and then select Photoshop Plugins and add.

OK, can you raise a support request at the Need Help? link above. Choose Studio and then Open a Request using Technical Support (Studio Only) and select Sharpen AI from the Topaz Standalone Used drop down list.

I cannot see any reason why but there may be a Mac issue that is involved.

I managed to add Sharpen AI to Affinity Photo, it opens but does not work.

I will raise a support request tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Do you have the latest versions of Studio and Sharpen AI? Respectively 1.14.2 and 1.0.9

I have the latest version of Sharpen AI 1.0.9

15" rMBP 16G Mojave 14.3 here.The plugin now works in PSCC 2019 but still crashes if invoked from Studio. I updated everything and reset local database to no avail.

It seems the Mac code is lagging behind. On D800E tifs, under Mojave iā€™m getting preview updates around 1:35-1.50 and 5 min on render. I tried Win 10 through Bootcamp with all else equal. Rendering takes about 4 min but preview updates dropped to a consistent 20 sec!

I think Topaz and its beta testers should come up with more specific system requirements, especially for Mac. Iā€™m reading on various forums of processing times worse than mine with much newer or more powerful hardware, including video cards that meet or exceed recommended. It seems to be all over the place. A friend of mine with a 2013 Mac Pro with 6-cores and D500ā€™s is getting very good updates of 6 sec and about 1:10 saves. But another gentleman on one of the forums is reporting far worse times than my notebook on the same machine. The only difference is that my friend has 64gb system ram and the other guy has 32gb.

Iā€™m looking at either retuning to a Windows PC or getting a used Mac Pro. I would hate to do that and still not have good performance. I certainly would appreciate an exact list of Mac configurations known to give good results with the software.

Lloyd

Just to add, the Mac Pro comparison above both involved D850 tifs, so thatā€™s not an issue.

Lloyd

It has been reported that there seems to be an issue with Studio on Macs after the update for PS issues.

On your other question about performance the major contributor is the GPU and itā€™s dedicated memory ā€¦ Not RAM ā€¦ Technical requirements are outlined here ā€¦

Optimal is what you should be aiming for in order to future proof.

Yes, Iā€™ve seen that page. It seems though that some people with hardware in the optimum category are reporting slower performance than others with the same or lesser video hardware. Take Mikeā€™s report that started this thread: 7 min on an i9 2018 15" MBP. Mike didnā€™t say which video card, but it would be Radeon 555 or 560X (optimal) or Vega. My 2015 model has a Radeon 370X 2gb, yet Iā€™m getting 5 minute saves.

This makes it hard for those of us who would consider a hardware upgrade with Sharpen AI in mind.

Lloyd

1 Like