More AI Sharpen Feedback

I’m also unable to save a file, either as jpeg or tiff. Win 10, 16G memory, 64 bit, NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti, driver ver. 24.21.13.9924

Tinkering with the AI Sharpen standalone…

Two time-consuming steps:

1. In order to see the results of a change in slider settings, the user has to activate a preview update, which takes a long time.
  2. Once the user is satisfied with the previewed results and selects Save As, Save AS seems to take as long as generating a preview. Is this procedure repeating tasks used in rendering the preview?

It seems to me the process of determining slider settings could be made more efficient with a small process-window that would apply AI Sharpen to the image portion shown in the window only. The user could then make additional setting changes if needed without waiting for a full preview to be generated. DxO PhotoLab uses this system for application of its Prime noise reduction feature, which requires a lot of processor power.

I agree, but there is something a bit odd in the comparison between the time it takes to render a change on-screen when a slider is adjusted (perhaps 20 seconds) and the time it takes to write the image to disk (almost 6 minutes in the last release) so I am not sure exactly what they are rendering when the sliders are moved. But I do agree that it would be much better if they only displayed a small window with the adjustment changes. It would help speed things up a lot.

When you make a slider change only the small section in the preview is being rendered (see navigation pane). When saving or applying the whole picture is rendered which is why it takes much longer.

PSB/PSD/TIFF/JPEG should make no difference when calling from Photoshop … makes no difference with PS on Windows. If you are opening in the standalone PSB/PSD are not supported.

Can you provide a little more information as using the Photoshop Plugin doesn’t seem to change the ICC Profile on Windows.

If you are talking about using it as a standalone and doing a Save as then the save as dialog does default to sRGB but you can change it to what you want:

2 Likes

Can you post a screenshot of the application when you are trying to save please.

well… if i don’t have the photoshop image saved as a .tiff and it is saved as a .psb in the open application the plug in crashes photoshop…

How large, in pixels, is your image?

Calling Sharpen AI from Photoshop you can use any type of image that Photoshop is able to open.

Using Sharpen AI as a standalone you can only use JPEG (and derivatives), TIFF and PNG.

I understand the limitations of the standalone. Calling the application shouldn’t make a difference but it crashes…

PSB is a large document format so what is the size in Pixels of the image you are passing. Sharpen AI has limitations on the size of an image it can process, also dictated by your GPU.

it might also be that I use smart objects and when I saved as a .tiff I rasterized the image. I will have to check… can’t now.

I downloaded Sharpen AI version 1.0.9. It opens ok as a standalone but I don’t see it in Photoshop (CS6) as a plug-in.

Make sure that CS6 is not running and then run Sharpen AI as a standalone and it will install the plugin.

Don’t use smart objects as Sharpen AI relies on AI to process so no settings will be available.

I tried your suggestion but it still will not load in Photoshop. And I might add, even though I made sure the image was saved as Adobe RGB, it has changed the colour.

to be honest… if I can’t use smart objects, I might as well use octave sharpening which is what I normally use.

Try running Sharpen AI by right-clicking on the Icon and choose Run as Administrator, of course making sure that CS6 is not running at the time and see if that does install the plugin.

If not go to Edit-> Preferences-> Plugins in CS6 and click on Additional Plugins folder and choose the Program File directory where you have Sharpen AI installed as that will work in the interim.

Sharpen AI won’t change the profile if you select the correct profile from the Save as dialog where sRGB is the default, it is in the drop-down list at the bottom of the dialog labeled Color Profile: so you would choose AdobeRGB to save it as.

Octave Sharpening is a technique where Unsharp Mask is applied on several copies of the same image, with increasing radius but decreasing opacities.

Sharpen AI specifically addresses general softness, camera shake and focus issues.

Okay, I can now open Sharpen AI through Photoshop. I had to go to Edit-> Preferences-> Plugins in CS6 and click on Additional Plugins folder and choose the Program File directory where I have Sharpen AI installed.

If the original image was a JGP and I save it as a TIFF, it changes the colour.

If you open Sharpen AI through Photoshop, you loose the Save As option.

Where are you saving as a TIFF from?