Mask AI

I agree totally

2 Likes

Isn’t it about choosing the right tool for the job in hand, rather than making pro amateur distinctions? I wouldn’t like to try this with the pen tool but Mask AI took less than a minute:

Nor would I try your example with Mask AI - it’s not intended for objects like that, just as the pen tool isn’t designed for flyaway hair.

5 Likes

@PaulM, I’m curious to see the images in real size. Both images (before and after).

It’s exactly what’s happening with me. At least I’m not alone. I have sent an email to Topaz Labs , but I didn’t get any answer yet. I have Mask AI loaded as plugin in my Photoshop CC. I can process the photo with it, but then when I save my work, instead of finding it added to my layers in Photoshop, it’s nowhere, just disappeared as if I had never used the plugin. It’s very annoying indeed. All the others plugins from TopazLabs installed in Photoshop works perfectly, only this one has such a flaw. Any suggestion? Thank you in advance

I’m curious to see you try the pen tool on the original lol. Screenshot of original and processed side by side and viewed at 100%:

2 Likes

I’d suggest making a copy of the layer you want to send to Mask AI and send that across - maybe your base layer is locked but it’s always a good idea to work on a copy anyway.

Mask AI will be listed in the Ps Filters menu under the category of Topaz Filters.

It will show up as MaskAI - not as ReMask (an older Topaz product that is no longer having development work being done on it). They are being positioned as 2 different products.

I suggest that if you own ReMask you don’t uninstall it or remove it from your Ps Filters list. Test Mask AI via the free trial. You may find that one or the other works better for the type of masking you do.

Typically, with the Topaz AI products, you have to install and launch them 1st as a standalone (always have Ps completely closed when you do those steps) before they get activated in Ps as plugins. That will hold for when updates come out too. To be on the safe side run the standalone version after you update. Then you can launch and work in Ps with the plugin…

Also, always duplicate your background layer before working on a Topaz plugin layer (A- to be sure you don’t over-write anything and B- for Mask AI (specifically) to work on and Accept your masking work back to Ps).

Topaz also points to: https://guide.topazlabs.com/mask-ai/

You’re right. Remask works better for me.

2 Likes

I am sorry I can’t answer your question, but thanks for teaching me a cool new word!

1 Like

Hi Philip, I think the difference between Mask AI and ReMask 5 is that Mask AI is much easier and quicker. But Mask AI still need some added features that ReMask 5 has, but I think that will come after Mask AI is perfected.
There is some refining tools in Mask AI that I have seen anyone take about yet. I masked the tutorial tree and it did a fantastic job
I’ll give you my examples
Started with the blue brush filling in the tree, and across the horizon, then filled in with green at the bottom. With the very first try it did an amazing job of masking the tree.

Step 2
I choose a contrast color to find any area that need extra work.

Step 3
On the tab go to Edges and you can refine the mask using the Edge Shift and the Foreground Recovery.
So far I use Foreground Recovery most to the time.

Step 4
Adding a background. This is one of the areas that I like about Mask AI is the ability to add a background and adjust the foreground and the background to make it blend into one image.

7 Likes

With Mask AI the layer passed MUST be unlocked so you will either need to unlock or make a copy for the result to be returned.

Very nice job with the cutout and resultant composite image.

I agree with those that have stated the Mask AI product is essentially ReMask with a ‘newish’ user interface and the addition of some ‘AI’ capabilities. Where the ‘AI’ algorithm seems to shine is with fur, hair and complex cutouts such as the tree in your example. For other things such as the jar example previously discussed, the original algorithm seems to work better.

As to Mask AI being a professional tool, that really depends on your use-case - if you need an exact cutout, have a pen/tablet (perhaps) and the time to use the pen tool (or my new favorite, the curvature pen tool) then by all means use pen tool. If however, you need to process many photos and the exactness of the cutout does not matter or if the subject was shot on a fairly uniform background then, Mask AI (and ReMask) are very good and time saving tools.

Lastly, as to cost… the upgrade price to Mask AI (in my opinion) is very reasonable. Let’s assume that there are at least 2-3 programmers/engineers and 2-3 testers/support personnel involved in creating Mask AI (I would assume there are more). That would be approximately 600K-1.2M of salary and benefits. At $49.99/upgrade, they would need to sell 12-24K worth of upgrades to break even.

Topaz Labs consistently puts out quality products and while I find all of the ‘AI’ marketing a bit much… I do applaud their thinking outside the box. The fact of the matter is that machine learning will, in time, produce better results than what we can produce today and will more than pay for itself in productivity.

Just my two cents!

3 Likes

MaskAI did well on my cat Photos,where there is good contrast in color.
I would encourage trying out on colors that similar.But not too.
Even a Solid color Similar to out side of Subject as background.

See, so there you go. Do cats like squirrels? Maybe MAI is part cat… :wink:

I have Windows 10.
Here’s what the file says. Like I said, I can’t open it.
20191025_175905-mask-transparent.png

Raise a support request at the main website with the actual message you get from Elements, the actual version of elements, and then upload the created image so they can examine it.

Note include the actual format i.e. PNG, Compression level used and the Color Profile.

@Fotomaker Good Result Camera iPhone 8Plus :slight_smile:

Here is My Squirl :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well … I just bought the Mask AI program now. But more for what might become in the future and not for how it works now.

LATER EDIT: In the case of cutting some objects it would probably help to draw perfectly curved lines as in the case of vectors.

That is a fluffy cat! Good subject for masking!!!

@Fotomaker There is A wicker in the wood.