MASK AI crashing in Photoshop

Using the latest version of Mask AI, I am getting a lot of crashes on “compute mask” when I use it as a plugin to Photoshop. This seems to happen the most when I have complex subjects and I paint in a number of small areas to “keep”. It gets stuck at 11% and eventually crashes. The previous version did not do that. If I take the photos to the stand alone program, the crashes happen less often, but they still occur. I tried it both with and without the GPU active.

1 Like

Hi, have you tried Contrast mode instead of AI mode?

Please go to Help-> Graphics info., press Copy and a the information here. Then open Preferences and click on Advanced, take a snip of the screen and upload it here please.

1 Like

I looked at the preferences. The box to optimize the GPU was checked. When I unchecked that, the mask AI worked just fine on the same photo . I did not need contrast mode.
Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

3 Likes

This worked for me as well.

Using the latest version of Topaz mask AI ,1.3.4 , whenever I use "select object " , after computing mask to 100% , everything freezes.
Have to use task manager to close Topaz plugin and Photoshop .
Tried to uncheck “use GPU”, same result.
Uninstalled Topaz mask AI and reinstalled it using link from Topaz website , freezing with first attemp using the Photoshop plugin .
Don’t know about using it with standalone version …

Please open as a standalone and go to Help-> Graphics info., press Copy and paste the info here.

Also note go to your profile and remove your Email from your Name field as this is a public forum and everyone has access to your email.

Thx, I went to help, copied the graphic info but cannot found where to paste it in …

Just paste it in a reply to this thread.

Application & Version: Topaz Mask AI Version 1.3.4

Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0)

Graphics Hardware: GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 432.00

CPU RAM: 32683 MB

Video RAM: 8192 MB

Preview Limit: 8000 Pixels

Update your GPU drivers to the latest version from the NVIDIA website and that should help.

Thx for your help Don , I updated GPU drivers to the latest version from Nividia website but Topaz Mask AI crashed from first attemp simply by using “select object” , object was never detected now and I was forced to use task manager again to close AI MASK and PHOTOSHOP.
Tried in standalone mode , same result .
If I make the selection myself everything works normal ,no crashes

It is really unusual that you are experiencing that, I don’t have a RTX but have a GTX and don’t experience those problems. I suggest that you raise a support request at the main website.

Note also that other users have reported errors with the RTX when GeForce Experience is installed … probably because of the shadow play and screen copy overlays. But based on your description where you said it just would not start I don’t believe you are experiencing the same issue.

Hi Don, just raised a support request with Topaz ;
Noticed that on my Dell XPS15 laptop mask AI runs without problems.
Before updating to the latest GPU drivers selecting “object selection” went to 100% and everything frooze then,
Now with the latest drivers screen shows selecting object but not progressing to 100%
Hopefully they will find a solution otherwise I will mask manually

1 Like

Last option here, can you go to preferences in Mask AI and, making sure the Advanced Preferences are showing, take a screen shot and paste it here.

Application & Version: Topaz Mask AI Version 1.3.4

Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0)

Graphics Hardware: GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 456.71

CPU RAM: 32683 MB

Video RAM: 8192 MB

Preview Limit: 8000 Pixels

It is under file preferences, not Help-Graphics info. Just take a screenshot and post it here.