Mac Photos Extension

I’ve been using both Sharpen AI and DeNoise AI with Photos by way of the External Editors for Photos extension for many years. External Editors for Photos hasn’t been updated in 5 years.

With Sharpen AI 3.3.3, I can no longer use Sharpen AI from Photos by way of External Editors for Photos.
Sharpen AI will launch with the image from Photos, but saving the image no longer registers with External Editors, “Save Changes” doesn’t save anything. I’m going to try to revert back to a previous version that did work.

But it would be great if Topaz would add an extension to Photos to allow editing with Sharpen AI and DeNoise AI like so many other apps do (Affinity Photo, Pixelmator Pro, RAW Power, etc.)

1 Like

Topaz seemingly broke it with this release. I believe they are working on it, but you may have to revert to 3.2 to regain the functionality. I purchased the topaz software with this Apple Photos workflow in mind and…yay they broke on the release I purchased. I can’t wait for an update that fixes this functionality
!

I too use Photos to manage my photo library and use the Edit With function to edit any image in my various editing programs. Every other program I have works fine that way and Topaz used to work fine up until the current releases. Now none of the updated Topaz programs work. There is no way to apply an edit back to the original and the only option is Save As. I also noticed the file that opens is not the original HEIC, but a TIFF. I can’t imagine there’s anybody in the world that wants a new file created for every edit with no ability to just Save. I think I read somewhere that they were trying to implement something like the ability to open a file through drag-n-drop and not overwrite the original without asking and so they made some change that broke the plug-in functionality for every external program. If that’s true, it seems like a bizarre tradeoff to make. I would guess its at least 1000:1 the people who use Topaz as a plugin vs drag-n-drop.

3 Likes

Just checking in here to see if there’s been any update. If there has, I haven’t found it.
@nbrown.ee - I believe Photos always creates a TIFF to send to an external editor.
I reverted back to Version 2.x on Sharpen AI. I never updated DeNoise so that continues to work. I don’t know if there’s a Version 3.x I can revert back to, as I prefer that interface. But I’ll poke around here and see.

It turns out there’s an easy fix, and I probably should have figured this out earlier. You can download a full install of a previous version from the release thread here in the Forum. I reverted back to 3.1.something and it works as before.

Fear not, it’s Still broken! :rofl:

YES Please implement a proper extension for Mac Photos so we can use the Topaz apps seamlessly. many many Mac users rely on Photos for organisation as I do. Cheers Robert

4 Likes

I am just adding my plus one to this request. I prefer to keep my images in Apple Photos. Having to save externally breaks up my workflow.

4 Likes

I completely agree. Apple Photos plugin integration is my #1 request of Gigapixel, Sharpen and DeNoise apps. Please make this a priority. People who keep their photos library in the Apple Photos app don’t want to have to export an image, open it in Topaz apps, then reimport the image to Photos.

Thank you!

5 Likes

Please make this work again. I really like keeping my edits in Apple Photos and iCloud.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more!

1 Like

As a new Topaz on Mac Photos user, I bought the bundle and was also slowed down by having to export in TIFF only, process, then re-import, then export as JPEG. Happily with the new AI software I can at least export and work in JPEG, then upload without having to go back to Photos, albeit the processed photos are now stored online, not on my Mac.

I was getting tired of Denoise and Sharpen TIFF process and was going back to Luminar which does a good job and is a Photos plugin.

1 Like

PLEASE TOPAZ, Apple Photos extension for all your apps.

Really surprised you appear to be ignoring this

1 Like

I am also now moving to Apple Photos as my main photo management tool, on top be de-addicting myself off the terrible Adobe products. I would love to use Topaz products as an extension to Photos. Would anyone from Topaz product team share what priority this is on their roadmap? Thanks!

2 Likes

I am new to the Topaz products having bought a Black Friday sale bundle yesterday. I have spent most of today working on a number of photos & really like what I’m finding, especially Denoise AI as my bird photography is often done in less than perfect lighting conditions in the rainforest. The results I am getting bring a smile to my face. BUT there is one thing which is driving me nuts & I feel certain it will be enough to see me not using the Topaz software as much as I otherwise would. It’s the workflow being so much more cumbersome & slow than it needs to be because I cannot use the Topaz products with Mac Photos. It just seems so clunky & unnecessarily time consuming to be exporting & re-importing photos from & to Mac Photos all the time. I feel certain that during my editing time today I could have at least doubled the amount I did if the Topaz products were a seamless Mac Photos extension. Please, pretty please, make these great AI products able to function as a Mac Photos extension. I also use Luminar, which although I am not Luminar’s greatest fan, find being able to use it as a seamless extension both 'natural & a huge bonus.

2 Likes

I join the request. Without native plugin integration, the Topaz products are hardly usable in interaction with Apple Photos (especially with RAW files). It is also noticeable that when using Photo AI, the colors of the images are alienated again and again (get a green tint).

A reaction on the part of Topaz if and when an Apple Photos plugin is planned would be desirable - I have just purchased the complete bundle and can currently use it only limited in my workflow.

3 Likes

I agree with everyone on the frustration. I am actually getting a refund from Topaz for now as it interrupts my workflow and there are a few decent denoise programs (not as good but not worth this and being so disrespected as an apple user)