Lilies

11 Likes

Poetry in motion 
very pretty.

2 Likes

Nice style and effects with your edits.

1 Like

Nice. Reminds me of a curly smoke picture.

1 Like

Both are beautiful, very nice processing!

1 Like

Very creative and beautiful
I would love to know how you post processed them.

I used many presets in Topaz Studio, some mine some shared. I am not sure I would be able to reproduce these if I tried - I tend to go where the editing takes me :). However my usual process begins with removing the background by use of a colour adjustment layer. I then look in my presents to see what works with the image - where I want a painterly result, a sketchy one or something else - often I also look scroll through the preset in the conceptual category of presets in studio. Very ofter I will apply several and tweak them as I go. To finish these I used a preset I shared with the community called "curls and swirls). The bottom image also used ‘acid glow’ preset and I think I applied the “curls and swirls” preset a second time and blended with a multiply mode. I have a YouTube channel (Sharon Co) that show some videos of some images I have created.

2 Likes

Hi Sharon, do you have a video on using a color adjustment to remove the bkgd? If not can you explain it?
I’m wondering why you use a color adjustment layer to remove the bkgd. Thanks, john

Most of the videos on my YouTube channel involve the removal of background using this method. I know the Iris one and the kingfisher ones do.

Basically I

• open a color overlay adjustment

• increase opacity to 100%

• open the mask for the layer

• invert the mask (so it is black and I can see the original image)

• using the brush tool, set to white, I mask out the background leaving the white background (or whatever colour you want the background) , and I can bring back bits that I want to get the mask as I want it

NOTE: I ften also use the “copy mask” feature for this color layer adjustment later on in my processing.

Have no idea really. Just a way that I feel a little in control of my masking.

2 Likes

Thank you Sharon for your thoughtful and detailed explanation of your worksflow. I will definitely look up your YouTube channel. I am certain I will learn much and perhaps be inspired/ignited to experiment with the processes you describe. Many thanks once again.

1 Like

THANK YOU Sharon!! This walk through is very helpful as a begin to wrap my head around Topaz Studio. Three questions:

1. Presume you keep the blending mode at Normal
or do play with this as well?
  2. You mentioned in your earlier reply to me the “curls and swirls” preset. Where might I find that?
  3. I don’t have the steadiest of hands; so, brushing a mask, if the image is very detailed, I can find frustrating. Any thoughts or videos that I might be able to watch that could “teach” me good brush masking techniques?

Thanks Sharon for the info.

For brushing out the background the mode stays at normal 
 in the second image the second time I applied the “curls and swirls” preset I set the blending mode to lighten (I think)

You can do a search in left side panel 
 just type in “curl” and it should come up

not really 
 fortunately Studio does have edge aware in its masking so that helps 
 the good thing about masking is it is easy to recover anything you mask away that you didn’t want to. Topaz does have Remask which is specifically designed to mask 
 you might like to have a look at some of the videos that Topaz has put out showing the use of this program. eg. http://blog.topazlabs.com/webinar/top-6-tools-in-topaz-remask/

I might have to have a look at some of the webinars again - they are quite inspiring.

Thanks once again Sharon for responding so clearly to my questions. I will find curls. I will have to watch some more tutorials on Re-Mask
I did not quite get it the first few times.