Jpg to raw

I received an email with an offer on the entire Topaz AI product line and since I already have all of the offerings except JPG to RAW I decided to try it. I had not done so before because I shoot in raw and did not see any reason to give it a trial but I do use the auto de-fish functionality on my Olympus E-M1.2 with the Olympus fisheye and that produces jpgs. Perhaps it was worth at least looking at what it did.

I converted a jpg to the dng format using it and loaded it into Photoshop. The result looked just fine. I then loaded it into Affinity Photo and found that the resulting image was more than 2 stops over-exposed, so either there is something wrong in the resulting image or there is something wrong in how Affinity Photo is handling it. See here:

What I would like to know is what does JPG To RAW do to the jpg that the free Adobe DNG converter does not do. I assume JPG to RAW does a lot more, but I just don’t know.

I have submitted this as an issue with Affinity Photo but should also mention that I opened the dng file with PhotoLine as well, and that editor showed the image as being improperly exposed as well.

Photoshop ACR displayed the image as being perfectly exposed (after its auto adjustment), the corresponding raw image from the camera showed in all editors as being properly exposed (after auto adjustment) and only Photoshop showed the dng file as being properly exposed.

I am not suggesting that JPG to RAW is producing bad images. Only commenting that there are some issues when the converted dng is opened in some editors. The problem may be in Affinity Photo and PhotoLine, but I thought it was worth mentioning.