Iris v1: Face Enhancement for Low-Quality Videos (June 2023)

This would be especially good for R3D low light footage which is beautiful but does come with noise that always needs enhancement. For such problematic footage I first use NeatVideo which works quite well.

Could you share the input file with me?

You can securely submit your files(s) to our Dropbox using the link below. Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.

Submit File to Dropbox

2 Likes

Have you tried deinterlacing first (perhaps using a different software?) then upscale and enhancement afterwards?

Yes, I have tried deinterlacing the DVD .vob or .mpeg source using Hybrid into a lossless uncompressed mp4 file and still get the same Iris results with lines and patterning, I stopped using Hybrid deinterlacing approach because I noticed ghosting or halo around objects in the video.

1 Like

I uploaded one of the file but essentially any dvd .vob or mpeg (NTSC or PAL) 720*480 file can be used to recreate the lines / patterning issue.

1 Like

Gotcha. Great troubleshooting. So this is with all files even progressive ones? Sorry if I’m asking redundant questions.

You probably answered this already. Have your tried updating to 3.3.2?

The patterning issue still exist in 3.3.2, it’s not resolved?

Source info:
DVD .vob PAL 720*480, I uploaded the source file in the Dropbox link above.
Note: this is happening with all interlaced DVD and progressize too.

Topaz settings:
Out: 2K
AI Model: Iris
Parameters: Auto
Video Type: Interlaced
Recover Original Detail: 0
Encoder: H265, Main, Auto
Audio: Convert
Container: mp4

Sample:

7 Likes

What name did you use? I am not seeing it yet, but I get a LOT of files :slight_smile:

crapo

1 Like

Hmm, I don’t have that here and I’m currently doing quite some old DVDs with interlaced content, e.g. the original Live Aid.

Iris does clean up the picture quite well here diminishing those vertical lines that are in the source plus making everything a bit sharper. No distracting artifacts.

Maybe this is GPU driver related since I’m on a M2?

5 Likes

I think the Iris model is a huge step in the right direction. After many testings, I think that this model would work better as a standalone feature. I see that it doesn’t work like a proteus plus face enhancement model, as one would expect given the same sliders and format. It’s rather very sensible to the anti-alias and deblur parameters, and not that much with the other options. As an example, this picture shows how the girl’s face became very similar with Iris Auto setting and the Deblur one. The biggest difference is shown between the Anti-alias settings, I got a totally different image with -50 and -100, and Anti-alias is known to be very light. It doesn’t look like -100 is an overload version of -50, but rather a different sensibility version to the Iris model. In the end, I chose the Anti-alias -50 as I prefer the face more blurred and with more fidelity to the original video than the other ones, who did’nt look that good and generated temporal instability.

3 Likes

Please share what settings was used on your M2? 3.3.2 release notes states “Fixes Iris artifacts on M2” I am not using an M2, perhaps the changes was only applied to M2?

We need the changes applied to NVIDIA, none Apple based systems. Can someone confirm this?

1 Like

I do have quite “extreme” settings here but found that they mostly work with only little adaption for different discs.
But then from seeing the very different recommendations here I’m not quite sure if the same settings but on different architectures do really deliver the same result. Or, in other words: I’m not fully convinced that those settings are transferable from Apple Silicon to e.g. NVidia.

Two images showing my “start-point” settings here:

4 Likes

Thanks, I tried ProRes container and the vertical lines patterning is still there, I see your using (Iris V2 modified), I do not have this.

The extreme settings for me causes more artifacts, there isn’t a superlative go-to algorithm, this issue is specific to Iris only, developers need to determine why lines are not there in Dione TV but appear in Iris.

Do you have somewhere I can update my source video so you can try with default Iris settings?

Iris V2 is just the name I gave the profile (to separate it from an earlier setting). This is just the normal Iris model, so you’re not missing anything here. The modified comes from choosing interlaced as input video type (the standard setting is using progressive).

For the video to send: maybe you can upload a short part (where the artifact is seen best) to e.g. Google drive or dropbox,… and send me the link. Then I could check if Iris on the M2 does create the same artifacts as on Nvidia.

I’ve also found a sample now with that vertical pattern, but with a progressive video:

4 Likes

Hi Ida, did you get the file, any updates in fixing the patterning issues with DVD NTSC/PAL 720*480 interlace / progressive videos?

3.3.2 release only mentioned M2.

Can you provide a short video sample for me to check. That way we could see if it’s model-related to related to GPU (drivers)…

1 Like

Here is a sample .vob file, let me know once you have downloaded the file?
Pay attention to the curtains for patterning vertical lines.

File Specs:
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan order : Top Field First
Compression mode : Lossy