Image sequence back into a video?

Hi,
I’m trying to use Topaz Video AI Upscaler to upscale some DVDs.
How do i I turn an upscaled image sequence back into a video? What is the best software to achieve this?
I’m intending to author the encoded files straight to Blu ray is there an all in one solution? I’ve heard DaVinci Resolve can do this but is complicated, is there an alternative?

Thank you for any help.

ffmpeg works great.

I know of no all-in-one solution.

The only thing you have to remember is to properly label the images so ffmpeg can process them.

I also group my fixed images into groups of 10,000 frames, but that’s just me.

Adobe Media Encoder is very easy to work on.

This falls right in to my alley, since this is the core of my workflow with VEAI. Personally i use Vegas Pro 16 (on sale for reasonable price on humble bundle at the time of writing this) that i feed the image sequence into and then merge with original audio to produce an mp4.

I’m probably being really naïve here but can VEAI not read back the TIFF files itself then allow the result to be exported as a video?

1 Like

VEAI accepts image files as an input, and will output a video, but I can’t see any way of bypassing the processing step in between. If you have reached the level of enhancement you’re aiming at, then you wouldn’t want another round of enhancement. Even if there was a ‘no change’ model, VEAI doesn’t allow much control over the video creation.

Use staxrip to open AviSynth script:

ImageSource(“z:\dnns\Dark2\ %06d.jpg”, 0, 32966, 25)
AssumeFPS(30000,1001)

Where Z:\dnns is a path to files.
0 - index of first frame
32966 - last frame
25 frame rate (you can’t specify 30000/1001 in ImageSource.
So if you need to change FPS you specify it in AssumeFPS command.

Keep in mind that so far you can’t normally use images because of bug - jpegs are saved with 53% quality instead of 97% as should. And other formats are very large.

Even if there was a ‘no change’ model, VEAI doesn’t allow much control over the video creation.

Hmm.

When I last tried VEAI it did a more than acceptable job on the short clips from my late-'90s vintage camcorder.

However, the instructions talked about outputting to TIFF files to enable starting from where processing left off should something untoward happen. When I tried that nothing untoward did happen but there was no video output at the end of processing and I had no way (or couldn’t find a way) of recombining the TIFF files into a single video. Or, indeed, any instructions on how to restart processing with part of the job already existing as TIFF files.

It does a good job as part of an overall enhancement process, but my main point was that using VEAI simply as a tool to recombine image files is not really practical because you can’t sidestep the enhancement stage (and obviously the many extra hours involved). The lack of control over video creation is another point, and there may be circumstances where that’s an obstacle. Some people here never use the video output facility. It suits me, by the way, although where I’m doing more than one pass through VEAI, I always use images as the intermediate output because it’s faster.

I’ve no doubt the developers could add a function just to combine images into a video, if they felt it was worthwhile. I don’t know but I wouldn’t be surprised to find that VEAI uses ffmpeg for video output - which is one common way that people combine images into video anyway.

You DO know how to now, right?

{ffmpeg, using the proper inputs}

1 Like

{ffmpeg, using the proper inputs}

Thanks, I’ll try that next time but I still think it’s a bit strange that VEAI is not able to do that.

Jack of All Trades: Master of None

I don’t expect VEAI to do everything. I’ve been using it for about a year and I haven’t even gotten around to figuring out how to do the last step in what I will do with these “upscales:”

Burn them to Blu-Ray to watch on my set-top.

Working on a MAC it is very easy and very quick to do it with Resolve.

1. Media site in Resolve: add the folder with your stills in the Media Pool
  2. Edit site in Resolve: change the clip attributes to 2398 if you working with a 2398 timeline
  3. Drag the folder to the timeline
    Ready!
    And if your disc is fast enough Resolve plays the video.
    I did this many times and I think it is a perfect workflow.
  4. Deliver site in Resolve: export your timeline
1 Like

Virtualdub can stitch jpeg as frames back into h.264 or MP4