Image processing speed

I upgraded my laptop from 16Gb to 32Gb of ram, but it doesn’t seem to have made any difference in image processing speed. Is there anything else I can do to speed up processing?

Please send me your system profile information so I can check if your computer hardware is up to date.

You can securely submit your files(s) to my Dropbox using the link below.

Please be sure to send me a note here to let me know you sent something.

Would you mind sending in the full system profile information? Please follow along with the directions below to generate a dxdiag file so we can get a better full understanding of the machine you are using with Topaz Photo AI.

DxDiag.txt (101 KB)

Let’s try updating your GPU driver will resolve the problem.

Please use the following link to update your driver: Intel | Driver Update

After the update, let me know if you are still experiencing the problem.

I downloaded the driver and it seems to be processing slightly faster.
Is there anything else we could try?

Try going to Preferences > General and setting your AI Processor to either your GPU or CPU. Run some test and let me know how that goes for you.

No change in processing speed with either auto, CPU or GPU.

With the integrated Intel Iris Xe graphics you have in your Dell XPS 13 9310 laptop you can only expect so much performance. I have an HP Workstation with dual NVIDIA RTX TITAN cards and for me GPU performances is not a bottleneck. You can compare the Intel Iris Xe to other GPUs here, UserBenchmark: Intel Iris Xe

1 Like

Does Auto use either CPU or GPU or can it use both?
I’m maxed on memory as both CPU and GPU are soldered to the motherboard.

Are there any other changes I can make to speed up image processing?

In Photo AI, Auto tries to determine if the CPU or GPU provide better performance. Generally speaking, it is better to use the GPU over the CPU. In my case I specify one of my two GPUs for Photo AI to use. Unfortunately, unlike the Video AI product, Photo AI cannot use multiple GPUs. From a programming standpoint, it would be a challenge to write code that could utilize both a CPU and GPU for AI processing.

Given your system and the programming design of Photo AI, as it is now, your best bet would be to get another machine.

As I do not know what it is you are processing or how, I can only comment that smaller and/or more compressed image formats might process faster.

Also, upscaling, especially if by a large amount, is compute intensive. You may consider doing other types of enhancements first, save the file(s) and in a second pass do the upscaling.

1 Like

Thanks

2 Likes