Image layers

I asked about this and they said image layer is coming.
I was concerned I cant open a different image and use that as an image layer. Apparently multiple images aren’t supported yet either.
I like to create different versions (perhaps even from Restyle) and use them as image layers to blend various effects- easy in Studio 1 but not currently possible in Studio 2.
I actually liked having different versions at the bottom- often not the same as just non-destructive layers. I have enjoyed using some as image layers often masked to different extents, and with different images altogether

1 Like

Thanks Fotomaker.

Yes, I’m aware of that and I’ve signed up for it. I’m talking about a tutorial or tutorials that people can open up anytime for reference. Affinity, for example, has quite a number of them describing each procedure.

thanks for recommending jim never heard of him but now subscriber and understand the ‘image adjustments’ for the first time

I think I heard they were developing some content. Expect there will be…

Did you see the content on Studio 2 @:

I am so glad you mentioned that you feel that Topaz Labs is dumbing down its program in TS2. I kinda feel the same way too. They have taken away a lot of controls and have a simple slider instead. I realizeTS2 is going in a different direction where creative artistry is the goal. However I use TS1 to make my photographs better, but need to keep them real. I hope Topaz Labs will continue to support and even improve TS1. Just my two cents, which doesn’t buy anthing today

2 Likes

Highly unlikely significant resources will be devoted to Studio-1 going forward (in my opinion). My assumption would be that TS-1 support will be EOL soon (if not already) and therefore enhancements even less likely.

My suggestion would be to start looking for a good general purpose photo editor that Studio-2 could then compliment. One suggestion would be Affinity Photo ($50 or less when on sale).

There are some initial tutorials appearing here: Studio-2 Tutorials

Studio-2_tutorials

Thank you for your suggestions. What I was trying to say was that Topaz Labs is now primarily offering only their AI products. For instance DeNoise AI, Sharpen AI, etc. I personnally feel that although these products are great, at times I really want more manual control over different elements of the adjustment. I want to do the ‘thinking’ not the app. For instance when I am trying to take the noise out of photo with an animal, I prefer Topaz DeNoise 6 rather than DeNoise AI. I feel the fur, or hair of the animal comes out much better when I can manually control the effect I want. That was why I chose Topaz over other programs originally.
Although I really love the creative artistic direction Topaz is going, I would also like to continue to have the older, so to speak, plugins and adjustments to use when I am needing to improve/correct my plain 'ol photos.
Again, thank you for your thoughts. I currently use Affinity Photo and Capture One Pro in conjunction with Topaz Studio.
As before, these are only my 2 cents…

3 Likes

I understand your viewpoint. However, that does not seem to be where Topaz will be focusing their efforts going forward eg legacy DeNoise-6 (which I own) has not been [functionally] updated in a very long time and I don’t expect it to be.

I think for the type of functionality you describe you will be forced to look elsewhere for primary tools (which you have). For example, for full manual control of noise-reduction…DxO PL Prime (Elite version). Topaz tools will move more toward the niche than general purpose, as they have openly stated.

Note: above excerpted from Topaz Labs web pages.

Sadly I agree with you. Unfortunately I bought Topaz over other options because I felt it gave me the control I wanted. Now as it turns in another direction, I will continue to use it for photo art. But for my work photography I will again seek alternatives. I was just hoping they would continue with both. I can still hope… they are a great product.

These plugins will be added to Studio 2 as per the roadmap and as is in Studio 1, it will appear in the future maintenance releases.

Also previous plugins will not be enhanced but, as has been previously done, support for newer Operating Systems issues will be taken on a case by case basis. So your primary concern about DeNoise 6 will be addressed in the update to support plugins.

Any other talk about supposed “direction of Topaz” is simply conjecture unless it comes from Topaz Labs officially … third parties simply have no idea. Topaz continues to add functionality, such as batch processing, RAW demosaicing etc., etc.

For those wondering about Topaz Studio 2 and Topaz Labs direction you can find the FAQs here.

1 Like

Thank you so much Don for the info. I really appreciate it!

So, batch processing will be coming to Studio-2? Which apps have recently added batch support?

The long-term issue above pertains to new OS support?

So I use TS 1 for compositing image layers. I then round trip into TS 2. The fantastic advantage of the TS 2 architecture is that it stacks all your layers (selected filters and selected effects), and, it enable you to switch on and off any of these layers. You can also change the sequence of the layers. This is incredibly powerful and its worth using and getting used to. My results have been wonderful and its worth waiting for the updates.

2 Likes

I hardly even use Layers for Compostites of images.
I do use, and have since way back in early Photoshop used layer masks as my primary image enhancement tools.
I think the implementation in TS2 is a great work tool, and much of my work, (natural history records) will benefit from the simplicity of the layer masks and layer mask styles.
Dodging and burning and color correction are so easily applied and then the opacity slider makes for balance between layer mask effects.

I am waiting for TS2 to be a bit more stable in the mac platform, but have high hopes.

TS1 also allowed stacking of filters and moving their order. Each layer can be switch on or off and a mask created for any layer. I don’t see any advantage in TS2 over TS1 so far. In TS 1 you could also create a new version ad save version in a tray to later choose or use one.

3 Likes

That is there in Studio 2.

1 Like

I was stating these were things in TS1 because thesesels seem to think they were new features in TS2. See quote below.

1 Like