Image layers

jstech. You don’t need an image layer button. When you use a filter or make an adjustment to your image, you automatically create a layer. It should automatically show up in the window area on the right side of the window. At the moment it seems like the software needs to be fixed. You don’t see the layer unless you go over and click on the “CBS Eyeball” Icon, which is supposed to disable the effects on that layer, and it does, but clicking it also reveals this and all the other layers you may have created. When you click that Icon again it shows the effects you just made to the image. You have options to create a mask for that layer, hide it from view, or modify it further. Once you add another adjustment (filter), you will have a new layer added above the one you created previously. I’ve sent a note to Topaz to ask them to work on this bug, unless this is how they want it to work.

Update---- I just did another test, and the layers are now automatically showing without having to hit the eyeball. Feels a little like I’m in the Twighlight Zone. But I am awake and it’s now working, and so I’m happy.

Thanks for the info. I was used to layers showing when you created them. I understand that compositing layers will show up later, or am I wrong with that too.

The talk about image layers is that they will be added in a future maintenance release.

where is the ability to create layers in topaz studio 2?

In other words, an adjustment actually produces an adjustment layer? That’s not what a layer usually denotes. Layers are usually used in compositing.

It’s planned for later.

In Studio-1 an adjustment produces an adjustment layer. Same thing for Affinity Photo.

In general, I use layers on a daily basis and I rarely, if ever, do compositing so your statement is overly broad to say the least.

Kathy, would you please explain why you are doling Studio 2 out in such a piecemeal manner? I understand that the company just wants to get this out asap, but I feel that this is a poor way of doing it. As I am seeing it this really is not an update, I see it as a significant change and basically consider it a new program.

I haven’t been able to spend a lot of time re-learning Studio, yet, but from my initial review, I’m sorry to say that I like to old format better.

2 Likes

The marketing pages explicitly state that (new program) though it appears the message has been slow to resonate. There is a totally new direction with the same name - they were going to change that too, but decided against it (perhaps in hind-sight they should have). So, yes, update is not really the most appropriate term in this context.

The new direction is touched on here: Topaz Studio-2

That is the type of explanation I’ve been looking for. Either through my negligence or oversight, I hadn’t seen this link that you sent.

Thank you.

However, I still feel that it would have been better to present the entire package once it was completed, with everything included.

One last point. I believe a tutorial would be a big help. Yes, we can figure things out on our own, but it would help us and save a lot of time by giving us some guidelines to get started with.

Hi babinc,

I’m a volunteer moderator and a user like you; not a Topaz employee. I see @jgr00ms2 was able to link to the Marketing info for you.

You can still use the original Topaz Studio as Topaz Studio 2 does not overwrite it.

Not necessarily. Certainly not the only use in Ps. Layers primarily allow you to layer on different effects and filters, then blend them, adjust the quality of elements in them (like with Curves, or Contrast, or Vibrance, etc.). And they allow you segregate the work you do into different tiers such that you can remove some of the tiers and not lose all your work. If you choose to add compositing to the mix (I often do…) that’s an indiv creative decision. But it’s not the only, or even primary, motivation for layers methinks.

1 Like

There is one scheduled for next Tues., 7/30 that Hazel Meredith is presenting. You may have gotten an email about it…

I asked about this and they said image layer is coming.
I was concerned I cant open a different image and use that as an image layer. Apparently multiple images aren’t supported yet either.
I like to create different versions (perhaps even from Restyle) and use them as image layers to blend various effects- easy in Studio 1 but not currently possible in Studio 2.
I actually liked having different versions at the bottom- often not the same as just non-destructive layers. I have enjoyed using some as image layers often masked to different extents, and with different images altogether

1 Like

Thanks Fotomaker.

Yes, I’m aware of that and I’ve signed up for it. I’m talking about a tutorial or tutorials that people can open up anytime for reference. Affinity, for example, has quite a number of them describing each procedure.

thanks for recommending jim never heard of him but now subscriber and understand the ‘image adjustments’ for the first time

I think I heard they were developing some content. Expect there will be…

Did you see the content on Studio 2 @:

I am so glad you mentioned that you feel that Topaz Labs is dumbing down its program in TS2. I kinda feel the same way too. They have taken away a lot of controls and have a simple slider instead. I realizeTS2 is going in a different direction where creative artistry is the goal. However I use TS1 to make my photographs better, but need to keep them real. I hope Topaz Labs will continue to support and even improve TS1. Just my two cents, which doesn’t buy anthing today

2 Likes

Highly unlikely significant resources will be devoted to Studio-1 going forward (in my opinion). My assumption would be that TS-1 support will be EOL soon (if not already) and therefore enhancements even less likely.

My suggestion would be to start looking for a good general purpose photo editor that Studio-2 could then compliment. One suggestion would be Affinity Photo ($50 or less when on sale).