Gigapixel v5.8.0

Thanks again yuan.liang, most helpful :slight_smile:

Yes, RTX2060 and Windows.

I did a CPU version with 5.4.5 (again should be in the archive) and it seemed slightly worse than the GPU version, but m-u-c-h slower, so I stuck with the GPU ever after, I hadnā€™t gathered that might be more of an issue with later versions. Interesting that the new GPU version will be closer to the 5-4-5 CPU version.

Iā€™m tending not to play with the parameters most of the time, as if I want to batch convert some images it would add a lot of time, so Iā€™m looking for the best solution where I only have to pick the model, not try a range of parameters for 5 models and then pick one from maybe 25 tries (I have done it for some images though).

I should also say I donā€™t like unrealistic amounts of sharpness, as reality isnā€™t as sharp as a lot of photos you see, so I rule out some other people might prefer.

Anyway, many thanks for taking the time to help!

Yes, I agree that the difference between CPU and GPU in the latest version has become almost imperceptible, and this is a big breakthrough.
However, I noticed some peculiarities in the processing of human skin, or rather, its shades.
For example, in some cases, the program completely discolors the blush if it differs little in color from the surrounding skin.
And vice versa, if there are areas of dark makeup or
there is a lipstick that is not applied to the entire surface of the lips, or, for example, a large birthmark. In this case, the program makes this area relief, with clear borders and looks like a rubber patch glued to the skin.
It seems to me that this is due to insufficient teaching of the model. The model just doesnā€™t know what it should look like.
At the same time, teeth and nails now look very natural.
About the discoloration of the sky in some cases, one person has already written a little higher.
Sometimes enabling the ā€œReduce color bleedā€ option creates the opposite effect to what is expected.
And yet, as one person noted at the beginning of the topic, the glare on the eyes and lips are too bright.
At the same time, the other scenes are handled just perfectly.
The main problem is that there is no predictable repeatability of the result, which was in the previous version.
However, as I said, the new version is a great success. Iā€™m sure you can bring it to perfection.

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m having issues since I upgraded to 5.8.0.

1. The ā€œFileā€ menu option used to have an option to choose what file type to save as (as well as file descriptor?) that has disappeared. I got it back once only after an uninstall/install of 5.8.0 and successfully output/saved a 2x upscale.

2. Each attempt to upscale an image fails at 100%, Iā€™ve seen in your documentation that that is an indicator of hardware compatibility, if true this wasnā€™t an issue for me with the previous version.

3. The one successful output/save from 5.8.0, as mentioned in #1 above, was a 2x upscale that took an incredible amount of time time to render, I timed it for a while and 17% progress had taken 50 minutes!! Iā€™ve no idea how the final render took but I ended up with a 2x tiff that was 1.98gb - Iā€™d rendered a 2x from virtually the same source file with the pervious version of the software that is 131.mb so I suspect that thereā€™s something odd going on. All other renders go to 100% and then the app closes/crashes.

While weā€™re trying to diagnose the why and what happened with my version of 5.8.0 Iā€™m wondering if Iā€™m able to downgrade to the previous version - I canā€™t see an obvious link to download that.

Many Thanks

Carol

Hardware:

• MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
  • Processor 3.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7
  • Memory 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Software:

• macOS Big Sur version 11.6 (20G165)

When you drag the photo from Ligtroom for example (you will see ā€œExternalā€ after version 5.8.0 in the app header), you have only the Apply button, but the image is not saved (or I donā€™t know where it saves it). If you open the app and click the Open button to open the photo, then you have the Save button.

Check whether you are using the GPU setting or CPU. The latter might be faster.
Howeverā€¦
I upgraded from my MacBook Pro 13" 2017 almost two years ago, because of speed issues with both Topaz products and my main photo editor. So it could be a hardware issue.
To try earlier versions, go to the forum discussion page for each of them and you will find the links to download at the top of each thread.

When you send it from an external editor, you would normally make a copy, (TIF, JPG or Photoshop). Itā€™s that copy thatā€™s modified and saved back to the originating folder with ā€œcopyā€ appended. I always try to remember to rename it afterward so I know itā€™s been rendered by GPAI. I donā€™t know how LR works but my editing software still shows the original dimensions in its meta-data but I have the option to change that with a menu item ā€œRead Meta-Data from Photoā€.

So 49us and this is only 12month license ? no lifetime license ?

No, itā€™s not a 12 month licence - itā€™s a lifetime licence for the version you own with 12 months of updates.

Iā€™ve looked into my account. Iā€™ve purchased a black friday bundle with:

Black Friday Bundle Ɨ 1 $299.99
Gigapixel AI Ɨ 1 Subtotal: $31.25
Sharpen AI Ɨ 1 Subtotal: $25.00
JPEG to RAW AI Ɨ 1 Subtotal: $31.25
Mask AI Ɨ 1 Subtotal: $31.25
Adjust AI Ɨ 1 Subtotal: $25.00
DeNoise AI Ɨ 1 Subtotal: $25.00
Topaz Studio 2 Ɨ 1 Subtotal: $31.24
Video Enhance AI Ɨ 1 Subtotal: $100.00
Subtotal: $299.99
Discount: -$45.00
Payment method: Credit Card
Total: $254.99

Basically the only two products I am using are VEAI and Gigapixel. The online tool offers me an option to purchase a Photo Plan upgrade but i cannot find out if Video enhance is included there.

Also: as you can see by the statement above Iā€™ve initially payed 31.25 USD minus a discount for Gigapixel. Why are 12 months of updates more expensive then the initial purchase?!

No, itā€™s not part of the Photo Plan.

Because your initial purchase was heavily discounted - the regular price is $99.99.

Thanks for the clarification. How can I renew Video Enhance AI then?

What does a ā€œdiscountā€ price have to do with anything? Topaz offered this price freely - my definition of a real discount is a price reduction out of necessity like a closure or bankruptcy sale.
Everything else is just marketing. They would not sell below their manufacturing costs unless they are morons or if they simply wanted to bait someone into using their ecosystem and then charging double for a basic update (which seems to be the case here). An update that should be free for at least two years according to european law, which applies here because they market towards european citizen, anywayā€¦

Just go to your account and you should be able to renew from there.

The full price of Gigapixel is $99.99. Your invoice shows you paid the bundle price of $31.25 - thatā€™s a discount. Your invoice shows a further discount of $45 - presumably that was for the Black Friday sale. A discount is any price thatā€™s less than the normal full price - I think your definition is very strange as a discount does not have to be out of necessity at all. If you donā€™t like the update price then donā€™t pay it and just stick with what you have.

1 Like

The longer I use the program, the stronger the feeling becomes that the models were trained not on images of real people, but on 3D models from Poser and Daz Studio (which by the way is quite possible due to certain laws), or worse - on mannequins from a clothing store.

And one more thing, I noticed this version of the program began to disfigure fonts again.

But still this version of the program is amazing. Much better than anything that happened before. Well, the models, I hope, will make more realistic.

Downloaded the latest version and now my JPG files are being saved as TIFF when I have ā€œpreserve source formatā€ selected. If I change the drop down to JPG, they save fine, but quite annoying to have to do that.

Iā€™m getting substantial saturation increases when using this tool lately. If you compare the after version of my image on the left, to the before image on the right, you can see that the birdā€™s beakā€™s orange is way too intense. This is using the standard AI model with 4x resizing and Reduce Color Bleed turned on.

Oh well. It looks like the forum wonā€™t allow me to upload the jpg file. ā€œYou canā€™t embed media items in the post.ā€ Not sure how others have attached photos.

Loving the new update as well. I tested it with about 5 different older versions last night which was time consuming but worth it for the sake of science. 5.8.0 pretty much came out on top, at least face wise. I did prefer the 5.4.x versions for a few things other than the face, for example, clothing details and skin looked slightly better on 5.4.5, but I do mean slight.

And Iā€™ve found, just as mentioned above, the faces can come out blurry sometimes with the newest update as mentioned above while the rest of the image is sharpened, GPU/ CPU does not change it. When I turn off the face recognition in those cases it looks good still, but Iā€™m sure this will be addressed. However, more often than not, for the most part, upscaled faces are finally are starting to look good for the first time, particularly the eyes and teeth.

Overall, this is a great update, speed wise as well as the parity in GPU and CPU is imperceptible to me finally. I find that because of the face improvement, enlarging images in multiple stages is way better now and produces some amazing enhancements I never could achieve with previous versions, and Iā€™ve been using it since 2019.

Great work guys, weā€™re nearly there! Just wanted to post to congratulate the team on their hard work. This update is awesome.

So licence its lifetime, but update will only 12 month ?? not 24 month ? As far as I know, in the UE there is requirement of 24 months of support, not 12 months. And maybe soon it will be extended to 5 years ! of free technical support. And companies that try to avoid the guidelines will be punish.

There are many ways to attach photos in here. :grinning:

1. You can upload the image to any image sharing website and put the link here. :nerd_face:

2. New/Basic users are not allowed to attach photo directly to prevent spamming. If you spend more time or more interaction in the forum, your ā€œTrust Levelā€ will rise automatically, then you can attach photo here directly. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. If you donā€™t know how to use image sharing website and have urgent need of upload image here, you may ask Moderator to rise your ā€œTrust Levelā€ manually. :confetti_ball:
1 Like

It will be fixed in an incoming patch.

1 Like

Please use cpu as processor. Allow model auto download.

This is related to the Graphics Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB.

However, the slowdown appearing under this kind of hardware + selecting gpu/auto is surely an issue. It will be fixed in an incoming patch.