Gigapixel v5.5.2

That worked on Mojave, thanks. Do you intend that we hang on to different installers depending on which computer we use, or is this new build universal for all OS’s?

However: Crashed when changing modes:

Crashed Thread: 13

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
Assertion failed: (ec == 0), function unlock, file /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/libcxx/libcxx-400.9.4/src/mutex.cpp, line 48.

Installer fails on Mac running current Big Sur "Error changing permissions to 040755 in/Applications/Topaz Labs LL/Topaz Gigapixel AI/Topaz Gigapixel AIapp (Abort/Retry/Ignore)

I ran the Uniistaller to remove the previous version and deleted the Gigapixel folder. Reloaded the Installer. Now I get Error creating directory /Applications/Topaz Labs LLC/Topaz Gigapixel AI (Abort/Retry/Ignore)

I created the folder by hand and reran the installer and it worked. Most odd.

Win 10 PC. Launched okay standalone, then switched to Ps 2021 (rel. 22.3). Installed and ran fine as a plugin from Automate. My workflow method of using GAI (& all the Topaz products) is as a Ps plugin.

Upscale (using Std model) of a previously downscaled Ps-composited JPG comprised of a photo & photo converted to look like a sketch recovered a lot of good (vs extraneous) details.

Previews gen’d quickly. Saved pretty quickly back to the layers stack after hitting Apply. Slowest was the downloading of models for each of the model types (my Pref setting is on “off”). Was able to add LUTs & perform other Ps functions after the GAI output was returned to the layers stack in Ps.

Does anyone test these things before releasing the app from beta? Three times I have started the installer (Mojave 10.14.6) and 3 times it has somehow managed to log me out of my account. Please fix this!! So tired of having to beta test something that’s no longer beta. Sheesh!

This has been fixed, you’ll need to redownload the installer.

Cliff - What do you have your Processor choice set to in Prefs under the File menu?

If it’s on GPU can you try switching to CPU to see if that stops the crashing… I cannot run GAI with my GPU w/out it crashing so mine is set to CPU with medium utilization. For some programs I have to tinker with that utilization level too.

Under your Help menu in GAI do you have it set to collect logs that you could share - if necessary - with the Topaz tech folks?

Well… I finally got what at least appeared to be a clean error-free installation of v.5.5.0 on my Mojave-Mac using the downloaded “full installer.” Unfortunately even though the app now starts-up okay, it crashes whenever I try to get a preview of a different Resize-setting or Model-mode… So I again uninstalled v.5.5.0 and reinstalled v.5.4.5; happily, everything seems to be good, stable, & working as expected.

So I’m okay for now, but PLEASE try to get this working for us – the little I was able to see of the new “Very Compressed” model seemed quite impressive…

BTW, thanks an_g for pointing me in the right direction!

1 Like

It is, for the right sorts of images!

You’re welcome, glad it helped :slightly_smiling_face:

What are the advantages of downloaded models vs non download models? Disk space and slow internet connect or simply limited monthly traffic can be a a real problem, so it would be nice to download them all at once and keep them offline. But in the meantime, are there any benefits to so called “downloaded model”?

Is now CPU and GPU results the same quality? That would be the best change since release.

Running it on a 16" MacBook Pro with Big Sur. No crashes or preview anomalies so far.

I think it would be a good idea to offer to download the models on first run. Some people may prefer to download them as needed, but I’d just as soon get it over with. If you can’t handle all of them as a single download, maybe just download the model/processor combinations one at a time?

My MBP doesn’t have a top-of-the-line CPU (2.6GHz i7) but it’s still impressively fast. I’ve only got the base GPU (5300M, 4GB), but it’s close enough to instantaneous that I’ve turned on Auto-update Preview for the first time since, well, ever.

I can’t tell if there’s a real difference between the 5300M and my eGPU — an RX Vega 56 with double the RAM — as both run about 4 times faster than the CPU. (Very happy that I can use the eGPU again, since I was getting bizarrely corrupted images from all of the Topaz apps with the previous AI engine.) And I see no qualitative difference between CPU and GPU mode.

I downloaded the 5.5.0 upgrade and it installed itself, but then I was unable to start my Gigapixel.
I uninstaaled Gigapixel and now I’m looking for a complete Gigapixel download.

I am hitting some preview crashes now with larger images at 6x, and it occasionally crashes when closing images.

Mojave here also - Looping installer bug as well. Mojave is as far as I’ll ever take my iMac Pro, so will await a Mojave-compatible fix!

The secret to happy workhorse Macs that run and do valuable work for decades is to top it out at the OS version current during its release. :slight_smile: Plus, Mojave is the El Capitan of modern Mac OS. Gold forever. Anyhow…!

I retitle my older Gigapixel versions with the version number, and keep them alongside newer builds in case I ever need to revert. New versions should leave the older ones upon install, alone once you retitle the apps.

Is this still an issue for you after redownloading? If you re-download the full installer linked at the top of this thread it should work okay now. You can also try the online installer:

https://downloads.topazlabs.com/deploy/TopazGigapixelAI/5.5.0/TopazGigapixelAI-5.5.0-osx-Online-Installer.dmg

I’ll give this a try - It has the same file name but different byte count than the one linked in the intro email sent out. If not, I may try the online installer, or wait, but I’ll report my results for the other Mojaveans out here…

We fixed the issue and replaced the installer that the link points to so it should be all good. Same name but different file.

Changing to minimize (not maximize) fixed Gigapixel, but not amount of fiddling can keep Sharpen AI from opening on the left (unless I want it to open full screen, of course).