Gigapixel v5.5.2

Have the bugs been worked out in this upgrade? I’m still using V5.4.5 and based on the comments about reduced sharpness I’ve been hesitant to upgrade.

1 Like

Don’t upgrade.

Topaz has made it clear what direction they are taking. Performance over quality. Same with other products like Video enhance.

I guess the customer has to choose now. if he wants performance upgrade, if you want quality stick with 5.4.5 or older versions.

1 Like

Thank you. I suspected as much.

It would be interesting to know where you confirmed this. Please post the response you recievd from Topaz labs stating this.

you don’t need official confirmation , the product and the experience shared by the people in so many thread is confirmation enough.

Topaz will not comment on this for sure. I asked them why is there no switch to turn off open vino like in previous versions. Comments ignored. No response at all.

I see many people who just ignore the post when people complain over the quality and keep asking for proof. for them no matter how much proof you give them, they will never accept the reality.

Anyways, it doesn’t matter, Topaz have made their decision and so have i.

1 Like

So it isn’t a problem with your hardware, I don’t have any problems with a i7 and GTX1050.

I got a 3950x and 6800xt. So i don’t care about performance but quality.

What i m looking for is the product should give the best quality i can get with my hardware.

if quality takes time, so be it. But the customer must have the choice between quality and performance.

When you take away that choice, the customer is not happy.

Well next time you make statements like that you should go to Help, Graphics info., press Copy then paste the configuration you are using and then explain that you are getting lesser quality results with that configuration.

Simply making general statements based on your opinion is not conducive to actually helping the question asked by the op.

Hi AiDon,
I’m the OP on this. I’ve been holding off on upgrading to the latest version of Gigapixel AI from 5.4.5 because, as zamfir1235 pointed out, many people have reported a loss of sharpeness over earlier versions.

I see that you are a beta tester. Are you suggesting that no such loss of sharpness exists?

Thanks,
Michael

Its not just my opinion. Its many people’s opinion.

Like i said before, people deliberately choose to ignore the truth. I can’t help in that case.

Topaz is supposed to address this issue, but they really don’t care. So there is no point me and you fighting over it.

Lets end this argument here. you are happy with the newer version and i m happy with older version. End of story.

I remember that I had said that you can fix the sharpness with Sharpen or whatever sharpens.

What comes out at the end always depends on the file, the larger the better.

At the end of the day in the discussion we came to the conclusion that it is subtle how you evaluate the output.

5.4.5 Standard

5.4.5 Compressed

5.5.2 Low Res + Sharpen

5.5.2 Lowres

I must say that the difference is so small that I prefer the speed of 5.5.2.

But yes, 5.4.5 looks better in the details, i’m also not happy with sharpen, there are too much colored artifacts that has to be fixed afterwards.

You can influence the output by sharpening a bit more beforehand with a sharpener that doesn’t form halos like photoshop’s smart sharpen.

Gigapixel then gets more details to work with.

I also don’t like how the A.I. reacts, many areas are calculated differently in terms of detail, the difference is small and not seen by most.

1 Like

Thanks. I certainly like best your 5.4.5 compressed. Besides uneven sharpness, too many artifacts/halos in other.

For my particular hardware, i7 & GTX1050 (Studio 462.59), I am not seeing the issues others are here. This may also be related to the genre I am processing which is mainly landscape.

I would always recommend try the product first and then decide based on your requirements.

How does one “try out” an upgrade? Can it be removed and the program reverted back to the previous version?

Been quite a while since there have been any updates to Gigapixel, has development stopped?

Do you mean try out a product that’s out of your annual subscription or in it?

If you have no active subscription you don’t have to start the type of trial that used to be available anymore. You can try any Topaz product you don’t subscribe to by downloading it from their Downloads page. But you will get a large watermark tattooed on the images you run.

If you have an active subscription for a product(s) & upgrade to the latest version you can always roll back to one of the previous 1-3 releases (it varies…) posted in the Product Releases discussion thread. I’d recommend you uninstall a later release before rolling back to an earlier release (it’s less needed to do that when upgrading to a latest release).

I like your photo!

The 5.5.2 image samples look noticeably less sharp than the 5.4.5 examples.

But, I guess it would come down to personal preference & intended use. Plus, your spd performance value std.

5.5.x has more soft image and in my opinion it’s better. But some times, GP has very low quality image, especially in eyes.

1 Like

Good to know! Thx for your thoughts on that.

I think there’s something wrong with the version for MacOS. Maybe a memory leak?

I had this folder with ~500 files, all under 700px in width and 1000px in height. My laptop crashed twice while upscaling the files. I noticed that the Gigapixel was using 25GB of memory at one point and it kept increasing after a file was done upscaling.

( Screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/TVP8xsP.png)

The only way to clear the memory was to actually close the app as removing the files from the app did nothing.

Computer: Macbook Pro 16", 2019, Intel, 16 RAM, MacOS Big Sur.
Settings: Standard, auto settings, reduce color bleeding ON, face refinement ON. Model downloading ON, AI Processor AMD Radeon Pro 5500M, Allowed memory consumption Low.