Gigapixel v5.2.3

It is just a display glitch as Taylor mentioned above, if the Allowed Graphics Memory is greyed out GPU is not being used.

Ok i purchased the yearly update to my perpetual license :roll_eyes: Its about $40 with a cupon code. Now i have some bugs to report.
In preferences GPU mode tries to auto-enable every time Gigapixel is opened or in fact every time a new image is loaded.

Its very hard to even get it to upscale an image in CPU mode, you have to manually turn GPU mode off every time you change model or open a new image or open the program.

GPU mode is drastically worse than CPU only mode, i never use GPU mode it has stripes running through the images and is blurry.

I hope this bug gets fixed quickly.

My system is windows 10. Ryzen1700x GTX1070 32GB RAM.

The new AI model is best thought of as another variation to choose from IMO, it’s nothing revolutionary, just a bonus to have and can give more defined results in certain images.

1 Like

I only use GP AI to upscale old colourslide scans and low-res JPGs to view on a 4k TV. I don’t use any filters, but my understanding is that GP Ai should be used at the very end of the editing process, since it cannot save RAW files.
However, as always it’s worth experimenting. Unless someone else with direct experience can tell you which way to go, try processig a few images both ways round and see which you prefer.

1 Like

You don’t tell the full story. I for one have no use for the new crop tool, but the new Compressed mode has done a mostly brilliant job in salvaging old JPG scans of colourslides of mine from donkeys years ago and old low-res JPGs generally. It still struggles with rendering faces if there isn’t enough detail in the originals, but I believe the next update will enable one to make adjustments manually.

Thanks. I suspect that waiting til the end is probably best. Still, I hope others who have more direct experience might chime in as well.

The “reset to defaults” arrow button no longer appears for me with this update. Did it install/update wrong or was that removed? I know it was there in v5.1.7.

Thanks!

I have just one question. When will you decide to stop to enable discrete GPU even when the user doesn’t want ? I launched a batch yesterday, and today I discovered that many of the renders were done with discrete GPU (because of typical artifacts). And when I checked the settings, yep, that’s it.

I’m really tired to loose time by remaking the same things other and other again, because engine decided to change the settings, because, why not ?

What d’you think ?

Edit : Unbelievable. I can’t even un-check the option. OK. Go back to previous version.

2 Likes

Its now very very difficult to disable GPU
 It auto enables whenever you do ANYTHING in the program. And GPU mode not only creates artifacts it creates blurry less detailed output. I hope they prioritize a fix soon.

1 Like

Just downloaded 5.2 from the link in the email you sent out. In that email it says the older version will remain on my computer. Just to let you know it didn’t!!

1 Like

This is a graphical glitch, if the “Allowed graphics memory consumption” button is greyed out then you’re not using GPU mode.

This is definitely confusing / annoying however - I’ll have a fix out for this in the next point release.

2 Likes

While I did fork out the money for the one more year of maintenance, it’s still very annoying since my original purchase was for “lifetime updates”. So I now have two rules when discussing Topaz products: I won’t recommend them and I will explain why I feel Topaz Labs in un-trustworthy.

I feel bad that before the the lifetime switch was pulled, I urged friends to get the product.

8 Likes

One small cosmetic thing that I would like to see implemented, is “Scale to Fit screen” as default in all applications

OK so I decided to upgrade to test the new compressed model. GPU mode is unusable with ugly artifacts making it even worse than the original image. Open Vino is still too blurry and less detailled. Only CPU alone is fine but it is extremelly slow. This makes me sad because we had a version 5.1.5 that was faster than light using CPU + a new TF and has been removed.
But i am wondering if Gigapixel AI isn’t suffering of what is called overtraining in the neural network world. No matter what, none of the new models match the quality and natural that V 4.4.5 was producing.
And also, is it so hard to train the models on human eyes ? because the lack of fine details on the iris area is still often disturbing.

1 Like

I’ve noticed that too! In some aspects I find the results of version 4.03 better than the 5.xx versions. It was slower, but I am fine with that if results are better. Maybe bring back the AI model from version 4.03 as an optional model and give the people the option to use it depending on their case? :thinking:

1 bug has been in every version of Gigapixel for the Mac so far.
If I drag and drop the image file onto the Gigapixel icon, it opens Gigapixel and shows all of the photos I dropped onto the icon.
However, when I process the files, it takes the right amount of time but on completion of all of the files, it all crashes. No processed files are saved to the target during processing.

2 things I’d like to see in a future update.

1 - The option to save each processed photo as 2 files. The normal processed file and also a medium quality “save for web” version that takes up less on the drive.

2 - I have thousands of photos in hundreds of folders taken over the last 18 years for my website. The old photos were edited to 600px wide but they are mixed in among 800px and 920px photos which were taken on much better devices and don’t generally need running through Gigapixel. I’d like to be able to select a folder and have Gigapixel only load up photos under a certain size so I can bulk upscale all of the 600px photos whilst leaving anything larger.

I can tell you from experience that adjustments and/or effects in Photoshop sometimes alter pixels in a way that diminishes ‘hidden’ details which Gigapixel could reveal from an unaltered photo. As well, it can result in more artifacts.

Absolutely agree about version 4.4.5, which I still prefer to use. Having said that, the new Compressed mode shows promise.

Is there an upgrade path/price for us folks that have shelled out for the whole suite of Topaz products and not have to buy at a sale price, open to all. I added Gigapixel last August and am now being asked to practically buy it again? Why are the “new” major features not showcased anywhere? I’ve no idea whether the upgrade is even work it.

3 Likes

I noticed alot of people saying GPU looks worst than CPU. Is this true? Why is this the case? Using GPU has speed advantages, but why are people saying it looks worst? If it does look worst than whats the point of using the GPU.

Maybe worth it if you process a lot of jpegs with heavy compression artifacts. The new compressed algorithm does a much better job of detail reclamation for heavily compressed images but unfortunately the results are just not usable for human faces. The UI changes are basically nothing. Everything is much faster now so if you use Gigapixel enough, the time savings may be worth the cash. Definitely wouldn’t say it’s a must have though.

2 Likes