Gigapixel Face Refinement vs Remini

Yesterday, Unmesh Dinda from PiXimperfect has talked about a APP that can enhance photo, it seem have a good result from his Youtube video.

So, I tried it out today. I installed the APP in simulator on my computer. I am still new to the APP, but after a few tests, it seem does good job in enlarging face on tiny photo.

Before & After:

Compare to Gigapixel:
1, Gigapixel 16x (4x two times) Face Refinement Off
adfaf_cr1

2, Gigapixel 16x (4x two times) Face Refinement On
adfaf_cr2

3, Remini APP
adfaf_cr3

1 Like

I’m not sure what the point comparing GigaPixel to Remini is as it is a smartphone App and GigaPixel is used to enlarge images. I have also noticed that it is OK if there is only one face but it can get confused if there is more than one in the picture.

I understand that Gigapixel and Remini App are designed for different purpose. A smartphone APP will never replace Gigapixel.

Gigapixel is a great software, however it biggest weakness is enlarging tiny face. I thought enlarging tiny face is impossible because it lack information to regenerate the face detail. But I am surprise how Remini APP can do to faces.

I just tested a picture 220x220 pixel with 5 faces, the app detect all of them.
MuMu20201212175612_cr

Here is one of the face in the photo.

Original Crop:
images_cr3

Gigapixel 4x 4x Crop: (Face Refinement OFF):
images-V531-scale-4_00x-V531-scale-4_00x_cr1

Gigapixel 4x 4x Crop: (Face Refinement ON):
images-V531-scale-4_00x%20(1)-V531-scale-4_00x_cr2

Remini APP:
MuMu20201212181805_cr

And here is another face in the same photo.
Original Crop:
images_cr

Remini APP:
MuMu20201212175612_cr

And here is another face in the same photo.
images-V531-scale-4_00x-V531-scale-4_00x_cr

images-V531-scale-4_00x%20(1)-V531-scale-4_00x_cr

Remini APP:
MuMu20201212175657_cr

I had tested with an image with three faces but it only detected the one, could be because the colours etc.

Face refinement is particularly difficult because the shape of faces is not standardized … even for GigaPixel it is difficult because of the enlargement process.

Judging from the above photos, it appears to be considerably less difficult for Remini…strikingly so.

I am confused…aren’t they both software code attempting to up-rez? I found the comparison to be very enlightening on what the expectations could be with significantly different results. Not even close, really.

1 Like

I am just making a point that GixaPixel is primarily for upsizing images for which it has to improve the resolution as part of that process. It cannot

Remini has other uses such as blemish removal which it is better at then … say Topaz Clean. Something that GigaPixel cannot do. For example, GigaPixel just upsizes the blemishes:

And, both cannot handle an image like this:

So what I am saying is both do a good job at what they are designed to do but they are as different as apples and oranges.

A huge thank you for the info about the app, and the samples. For someone trying to salvage a precious memory, this is gold. It’s not exactly smooth workflow, but you can always divert your workflow to your iPhone/iPad and run the software. Or maybe they’ll make it available on Apple’s new M1 chips (which can run developer-enabled iOS apps). The results above seem impressive for any device.

When results matter, it’s better to have a variety of tools.

1 Like