Gigapixel AI 4.2.2 'converts' Adobe RGB to sRGB

Some (but not all) of the Adobe RGB files I’ve enlarged now appear to be sRGB when returned to Photoshop. Should I just re-assign them or convert them if I need Adobe RGB files?

I am a little confused because GigaPixel AI doesn’t work as a plugin. Could you provide a little more information about your workflow please, including a screenshot of the GigaPixel parameters.

Gigapixel outputs to the colour profile you tell it to. In the output column it displays what that will be and there is an option in the File Format section to either keep the current one or change it to one of your choice. If your files are in Adobe RGB and you want to keep that then set “Keep Colour Profile” to Yes.

1 Like

This happened with a truly massive file I was working on today. ‘Convert File Format’ is set to ‘no’ but if I open the dialogue, ‘Keep Colour Profile’ is definitely set to ‘yes’. Perhaps its one of those damn things!

I’ve run it through again (same outcome) and can provide screenshots of Gigapixel interface, and the source and enlarged files in Bridge. Curiously, although Gigapixel gives Adobe RGB in the Output column, in Bridge metadata it says sRGB.

My guess is that I should just reassign the file as Adobe RGB.

Sorry - Reply box wouldn’t allow screen shot images - can send on request.

What type of computer are you using (Mac, other or PC)? If you create a screen snip/capture as a .jpg you should be able to upload here using the box with up arrow symbol at the top of these comment boxes. It will ask you to browse for your file then upload it. Once you do that you can hit Reply (sorry if you’ve done that b4, but attachments are doable using those steps…). If you create the capture as a jpg it also shouldn’t be too large to upload. Resolution isn’t an issue here. Just seeing your settings (which sounds like you’re prepping correctly from your description).

@PhilipT

Whilst not quite the same as your problem, I’m also experiencing a problem when I use Gigapixel AI with the Convert File Format set to No.

With a 4656 x 3104 px source 16 bit TIF image, color format Adobe RGB, Gigapixel AI set to resize by 0.5x and Convert File Format set to No, I would expect the output image to be 16 bit TIF, and the color format Adobe RGB.

Unfortunately it isn’t. It has retained the color format as Adobe RGB, but it is only 8 bit TIF, not 16.

Even if I start by clicking on Yes to Convert File Format to open up the dialogue , set the Convert Files to TIF, Compression to None, 16 Bit and Keep Color Profile to Yes, then reset Convert File format to No, the output image is still 8 bit, not 16.

So the only way I can retain the original 16 bit File format, is to actually set Convert File Format to Yes, Convert Files to TIF, Compression None (or LZW or ZIp) 16 bit and Keep Color Profile to Yes.

Support request 188452 raised

1 Like

I attempted to send the screenshots again but I always get the message ‘can’t put images in a post’. Attaching to an email likewise doesn’t work.

I’m using Windows 10, 64 bit.

Having read Greyfox’s reply, I’ve discovered that my files are also turning 16 bit into 8 bit, although so far only this one image has lost its Adobe RGB profile.

You need to upload the images using the icon of the computer with the up arrow in the header when you write the post.

7th icon from left, yes? Hope you get this. Every time I try I get a ‘Sorry - you can’t put images in a post’ message.

I will open a Support ticket.

You can now upload images, but you should still raise a support ticket for this issue with the ICC Profiles/Bit Depth.

@PhilipT

You can extract and examine the full ICC color profile from a TIF or JPG image file using the command line version of Phil Harvey’s ExifTool.

If you don’t already have it, it can be downloaded from ExifTool by Phil Harvey
Place the image file in the same folder as ExifTool.exe and then run the following two commands.

To extract the ICC profile, at the command prompt type:
exiftool -icc_profile -b -w icc yourphoto.ext (where youphoto.ext is the filename of your image file)

That will produces a ICC profile file named yourphoto.icc

To examine the ICC profile, at the command prompt type:
exiftool yourphoto.icc