Gigapixel 7 custom crop aspect ratio moves on its own

When using the Custom Crop, the known issue is the aspect ratios moving on its own when attempting to set or adjust one size. You will see the whole crop box move on its own.

While we continue to investigate this issue, it is best to have a custom crop already applied when you import your image into Gigapixel.

1 Like

There are several issues when using the crop function in the new version of gigapixel.

Issue no1: Output size is not consistent with selected aspect ratio. When i choose the aspect ratio 4:5 and choose a output width of 28 inches, the output length should be 35 inches, not 35.xx inches. Even the decimal is not consistent, even though the steps i take are exactly the same for each image, and the original images are the exact same pixel size each.
1b
I also got larger discrepancies between images earlier, but am not able to recreate the problem to take a screenshot. (some images have been 4.61x instead of 4.53x).

Issue no2: The crop grid i choose is not consistent with the result the software is generating. And it is also not possible to get a preview of the full image after i selected the crop. (a little bit is always missing at the top/bottom, which means i have to manually move the image up and down to see the top and bottom borders of the image)

There have been some other issues, for example when choosing a vertical AR 3:4, it would automatically select the AR 4:3 for the next images, instead of the custom 3:4 AR.
1a

Exporting the images also fries my cpu, leading to temperatures above 100°C, even leading to my pc shutting down once.
t1

Another thing that i don’t understand, is the thickness of the grid, it is overlaying too much, and there really is no upside imo for having a thick grid, compared to the thin grid of the old version, which allowed for much more precise cropping.
t2
Is it possible to change the thickness? If yes, how?
If there is no way to change the look of the grid, that alone would mean for me personally that the previous version is superior to the newer one, since a lot of images i am working on has borders, that should not be overlayed by the grid, making it very annoying to get evenly big edges on both sides.

The previous version worked perfectly for me, and i really like the new options of the newer version, but if cropping really is the way i experienced it today, there is no way i can integrate it into my work flow.

Exact same issues as max…but wait…there’s more!

1. In custom/unlocked crop mode, dragging one axis also affects the other. Example below, unlocked custom sate, I simply dragged the grid from the bottom but the sides and top also moved. Other times, moving one H line only affects the other H and not the W. No rhyme or reason for this but looks like the “unlock” is broken.

2. If by luck the crop behaves as it should in long-established, paid-for image editing program, the output is completely wrong. Below is some random crop preview :

The output clearly not what was cropped:

1. Can you please have “Face Recovery” default to either off or last state used? It’s not the miracle you guys think it is to force it on everything. Also distracting and annoying to have to pay attention if it’s on or not randomly.

Went back to the old version today, and it was truly liberating. No bugs, much faster exporting and much more responsive inside the software, CPU doesn’t die, clearer interface. Probably won’t ever try any other update after what i experienced yesterday, lol.

I have had similar issues with crops, struggling with the wobbly interface and not being able to get the crop into the corners. I find the fact that you have to scroll up and down on the right hand pane a bit annoying and in doing so that can inadvertantly switch stuff on and off.

I do find this version faster than 6.0 and have not had it crash my PC yet, 6.0 would do it regularly if I had anything else running (I am running a Predator Helios 300 gaming laptop with 16GB ram and NVIDIA RTX2060.)

I think that it would be a good idea to be able to chose which modules you want to see so you can make room on that right hand bar, so you could show or not show face recovery. The selection of multiplier should be a drop down, I usually find that I need odd numbers, there could also be a decimal too. There appears to be a huge waste of space on the left with all the controls cramped on the right, could some be across the bottom?

Just upgraded to V7 and cant change the scale setting, the only option available is 1. no 2 4 or 8 just 1 which after using is 1:1. File is tiff, 8bit, 450megs no layers. I need large files for mural printing. I’ve used previous version on the exact same file without this problem
GpixelV7
This is very frustrating

How big, in pixels, is your image on the longest side?

1700 pixels wide

First try turning on the AI Model you wish to use and that should work. Click the slider in the header.

You should see as I have below except 6x should also show.

If that doesn’t work try reinstalling or repair from the Apps in the Settings if you are on windows.

On reopening I now have 1.8 with a red outline (?) switching on AI will only allow low resolution, if I try any othe Ai mode it reverts to low res. I have had GPixel for a few years, I’m used to using it - basically simple. the two screenshots show whats (not) going on - is there a limit on the size of file I can interpolate?
GpixelV7
GpixelV7_2

Just tried the ref outline single option 1.8 setting, the output file is 1.5gig @ 32000 pixels wide, looks fine, the file came out with the image and white border on a clear separate layer, only needed flattening but the original has no layers.
Original file was 800megs @ 1700 pixels

The limit is 32,000 pixels on the longest side. You claim the input is 1700 pixels, what are the actual dimensions of the image in pixels?

Sorry … input File is 16998 x 9227 pxls

Ok understand now … :+1:

Sounds related to this issue?

https://community.topazlabs.com/t/gigapixel-7-custom-crop-aspect-ratio-moves-on-its-own/61340/2

2 issues when using the crop function

1. The output resolution does not match with the selected ratio. For example selecting 4x3 ratio and setting the output width to 1080px results in a height of 824px.
  2. In the crop function the selection of which part of the original image to crop is limited so I cannot select an area starting from the top of the image.

Version 7.1.1 addresses custom crop adjustments as mentioned at the beginning of this thread.

we are still addressing other crop related issues - please report these in our Bugs & Issues thread - we appreciate it!