Future Video AI Plug-In's

Looks like it will be long time before we see a Video AI plug-in for DaVinici Resolve and maybe “never” for Magix Vegas Video Pro.

It’s bizarre that Topaz Labs is releasing the first “beta” plug-in of Video AI for Adobe products since they are subscription based only…almost ironic. And, later having a plug-in for Resolve which will probably only work with the $400 Studio version, which has an amazing NR video effect and “Super Scaling” ability already.

It would make more sense to have a plug-in targeted for Magix’s Vegas Video which is more along the lines of “prosumer” NLE editing and currently doesn’t have any good NR or up scaling.

Considering they have had the Topaz Photo Ai plugins for Adobe Photoshop from the very early days of their company, I would say the choice of software they are providing the plugins to is simply down to being more familiar with Adobe products.

1 Like

Personally I don’t find their vendor priority the least bit surprising. Adobe is to the media space what MS Excel are to gray suits in dank offices; ubiquitous. Makes perfect sense to cater to the big-dog first. That’s what happens in any industry. One builds for the leader in order to maximize potential revenue.

That said, I’d be positive if they’d release a Davinci plugin, since I’ve shed the yoke of the Adobe tax collector myself privately and gone all in on Resolve. But integrating it with an NLE doesn’t much matter to me, since AI processing is relatively slow and needs to be run on much beefier machines than my graphics workstation. So I’m content using a separate pipeline to blaze through a set of source clips using a different tool for VAI, and then use those renditions for the final work in Resolve.

But I can appreciate the convenience of having an integrated plugin in the NLE for small projects, or for situations where you don’t have an easy to use “render farm” already.

1 Like

And why do you need a Video AI plugin for DaVinici Resolve? For the material already in DaVinici Resolve to be distorted by these funny alien faces in the background, which Video AI so sincerely produces?
Video AI should be used to submit material that has already been prepared, processed, and improved in DaVinici Resolve. Video AI should only be used in the final stage at the minimum slider settings of 3-7, with a separate pass…
Video AI is only suitable for “polishing” good video quality, and for interpolating frames. Video AI can’t improve any low-quality video on its own.

DV Resolve Studio slow motion is pretty poor, VEAI does a significantly better job but on the downside ignores audio and plays the audio back at original speed while the video is slowed down.

A Resolve plugin would be great while doing a edit and handling the slo-mo bits on the NLE without having to revert to a separate program and then bring them back in.

It just tedious and would be nice to have the VEAI functionality there is all.

This is the reverse of how the workflow for film and TV production works. Scenes are processed first and then assembled into the final edit. Because different scenes have different requirements for optimum quality.

The potential value of a plugin is when you think you’re doing a final edit and realize that a particular bit needs “just a little bit more.”

1 Like

Based on the Marketing email shot I received on 23 Feb - looks like DaVinci Resolve plug in is coming before Adobe Premiere Pro in Video Ai 4.2 release.
Pity as I use Premiere Pro - useful to tweak the odd piece of footage for Noise and sharpening.

And what about EDIUS OFX Bridge support?