From low quality DVD to HD: model and processing

Hi,
Sorry for my English.
I need to convert a low quality DVD 720x520 widscreen, interlaced, @ 25 fps (.mv2 files) to a 1920x1080 p.
I would like to have some advice on the models to use and the succession.

• Should I convert the .mv2 file? … I understand that Topaz does not support this codec.
  • It is preferable to choose a deinterlace and upscale to HD preset, with model Dione, and then apply Artemis, or, vice versa, it is more appropriate to apply Dione first, keeping the original output, and then apply Proteus for upscale to 1980x1080 + Artemis (in this succession)?
    Thank you very much for your help

VEAI can import avisynth scripts. IMO VEAI cannot do deinterlacing so you should fall back on the decades experience of the avisynth community. The .m2v can be imported into avisynth using DGDecNV, and if the interlacing is “standard” can also do the deinterlacing for you. If the source material has been professionaly authored then you might get away with proteus.

Hi Phillip
I encoded the m2v file via Adobe Premiere into Apple ProRes MXF file, with ProRes 422 LT codec, compatible with Topaz.
I ask for help on my second question, whether to deinterlace and upscale HD or, alternatively, first apply Donee without upscale and then proteus for the upscale + artemis.
Many thanks.

You must deinterlace first. If you do not, it will ‘bake’ the interlace lines into your movie.
(I agree with Phillip, you should use another program to deinterlace, but some people like what TVAI is able to do, so maybe you will.)

1 Like

You shouldn’t be re-encoding to import into VEAI. Encoding should be the last step. If you must then use uncompressed formats.

I’ve just tried a quick AI deinterlace and what it seems to do is do a double bob but with AI doing the scaling. The problem, however is that VEAI always wants to do further processing resulting in artifacts.

Hi Phlillip
I thank you for your attention
To proceed with an HD upscaling I still have to code because the file is a .mv2 windscreen. I have to encode it in a 1024x576 square pixel format and then upscale to HD.
For editing I work with Adobe Premiere 2022.
I could insert the option to deinterlace from the timeline and then proceed to encode with low compression format (ProRes) at the 1024 x 576 square pixel format.
The problem is that I don’t know if I deinterlace while encoding, it will “bake” the interlace lines.
If I understand correctly, you suggest interlacing before any kind of encoding using an uncompressed format.
I’ll try with DGDecNV
Thanks again, I’ll let you know

No. As I’ve said earlier inport it using avisynth+ and DGDecNV. You must deinterlace before any other processing, whether with VEAI or other means. I recomend avisynth+. Your other consideration is whether your material has 3:2 pulldown applied, if so this is reversed first.

Ok.
My .m2v movie is PAL 25 fps, encoded from 25 PAL fps source. I don’t think a 2: 3 or 3: 2 pulldown was applied

Whilst it shouldn’t have it, unless you know of it’s source you need to check. IIRC the first Red Dwarf DVDs in the UK were encoded from NTSC material and as a result was a real pain to backup for PC playback.

HI,
I think I have found the solution.
I created a .dgi file with Dgdecnv.
I built a script for AvySinth with instructions for deinterlacing and for adjusting the aspect ratio (720x576 widescreen).
I uploaded the .avs script to VirtulaDub and saved it in uncompressed AVI format.
I then worked the AVI file with Proteus in Topaz.
Everything seems okay to me.
One last question: I read that it is possible to contact Topaz AI models (eg Proteus + Artemis), is that true? how to proceed?
Thank you very much for all the help.

Load the script into VEAI by dragging and dropping it. Also don’t do any resizing as that’s what VEAI is for. My recomendation is to output from VEAI as uncompress tiff. You can load the image sequence into avisynth with the function Imagesource() and encode using x264. Before you go for a long render you can test small clips in VEAI by triming the avisynth scipt using Trim().

Sorry,
this sentence is not clear to me:
“Load the script into VEAI by dragging and dropping it”

The script that contains the .dgi file is an .avs and is not compatible with VEAI.
Maybe you are referring to the file. avi built with virtualdub from the .avs script?

.avs is compatable with VEAI, the devs didn’t add the .avs extention in the open dialogue box. Select your script and drag it into the bit that says “drop videos or click to import”.

Videogeek,
I have no knowledge of Huffyuv, I know little about AviSynth as a beginner.
Can you give me some more explanation or reference to create an uncompressed non-interlaced Huffyuv .avi file to work with VEAI’s Dione, to do some testing?

Philipp,
i tried, but VEAI doesn’t load my .avs which works fine in virtualdub.
My avisynth syntax is:
LoadPlugin (“C: … \ DGDecodeNV.dll”)
DGSource (“xxx.dgi”, deinterlace = 1)
Spline36Resize (1024,576)
I tried with DGDecodeNV.dll 36 bit and 64 bit

Firstly I wouldn’t re-encode as mentioned above. If Topaz doesn’t accept the container type I simply use XMedia Recode to change the container to mp4 or mov and change the setting to “Copy” both video and audio streams which will give you something Topaz will import without there being any other encoding. With DVD footage yes most is interlaced and that is the first thing you need to do, depending on the age of the footage I would use the Dione TV model as this works best for lower picture quality in my opinion. Unfortunately, as pointed out earlier, the Dione models all do other processing and depending on your PC specs you may want to upscale at the same time to reduce the number of passes taken but it may not give the best results.
Normally I would not upscale just keep original size and then import into something like Adobe or Blackmagic to do noise/dust removal and repair any scratches and colour correction. Another problem with upscaling straight away is that you also “enhance” any problem areas such as edge halo and the above mentioned.
After this I generally use either Proteus or GAIA to upscale. GAIA I find gives the output a more natural look but if you need any additional sharpening/de-blocking then go with Proteus to tweak to your liking.

VEAI to interlace with Dione provides 2x25 fps output.
The result for me is better than what you get with Avisynth
If I choose the TFF sequence output in VEAI and load it into Adobe Premiere, the sequence is read as a 25 fps and not as a 50 fps.
Should I rework the movie with Crono fast to bring the movie back to 25 fps?

That is up to you. Personally I don’t see any benefit exporting to TIFF images as I can edit single frames in Blackmagic for any restoration work. Editing single frames will give the best results but it’s also extremely time consuming so if you plan on editing the TIFF files you will be better off dropping the frame rate back down. However, I wouldn’t use Chronos for any frame rate changes as it’s very slow.

Try avisynth+ and if that doesn’t work try 2.6.4.

Edit:avisynth scripts aren’t supported in version 3.

I’ve been obsessed with trying out early v3 and beta v3 for the past month, and just reinstalled v2 after a long hiatus.
And once again I felt that v2 was great.
I realized again that v3 is still overwhelmingly inferior to v2 in terms of speed, image quality, and lightness of operation.
I really hope v3 will be great software, but it’s still far from perfect.