Feature Request: Motion Blur

Would be interested to see VEAI compute and add motion blur into footage, particularly CG footage.

Something akin to the ‘ReelSmart Motion Blur’ plugin but using machine learning instead of optical flow.

I am curious: What would be the benefit of an AI based motion blur instead of a conventional one? Could you elaborate ?

The optical flow technique falls apart when applied to fast moving footage. I’m curious if an AI based approach would reduce the amount of glitches.

Thanx for getting back. I´ll have to twist my head around this - the AI would have to take the time domain into account, not sure at the moment if a neural net approach would outperform something with motion vector detection - but it sure is an interesting thought…

Maybe i´ll dig through the papers of the recent status of motion blur synthesis and removal (which also is interesting)…

1 Like

This would actually be very interesting to use on old TV show footage from the 90’s like Star Trek Voyager. The CGI footage is quite jittery and has no shutter angle so the video is choppy. I’ve seen the original series remastered on Netflix and it has motion blur that looks extremely realistic but I have a feeling that the algorithms used to do that are not even close to free and probably would be easily outperformed by an AI model.

The current Chronos AI model already produces higher quality intermediate frames than anything Adobe can do. Currently the best way to add artificial motion blur is with After Effects with the Pixel Motion Blur effect. I think it would be great to see what VEAI could do on this front. High shutter speed 24/25 fps smartphone video would look much more professional.

Edit: Technically you can already do this with some extra work. For example if you would interpolate a clip with the Chronos model at 2000% you would have 19 extra sample frames. If you import and interpret that clip in a program like Premiere Pro at its intended framerate and then speed it up by 2000% with Frame Blending you could get a similar result.

1 Like

I totally agree, there are some tools on the marked but often they lack from distinguishing static background from moving objects and the object as well as the background is blurred (e.g. RSMB). Chronos does a great job in separating differently moving object layers. Hence, the AI approach should work perfectly here.

I already posted it in another thread, I would love to have a generalized “motion blur control” with a shutter angle control. Topaz guys are already working on a motion blur reduction model, so a full motion blur control (reduce&increase) would be a wonderful completion for a VEAI model.

1 Like