Faces look unnatural

I just upscaled a couple of DVDs to FHD and noticed that faces look really weird and distorted. On a closeup it’s fine, but in the distance, they look unnatural.

This is using 3.0.11.

I am using Proteus Auto.

Can anything be done to fix this?? Is this being looked into by the developers?

Cheers :blush:

It always happens to me too

Try Gaia…i noticed it has far less distortions.
in order not to waste huge time encoding the entire DVD for testing, pick that scene (in that picture you posted) and select preview of 5sec. that would export you 5sec of that video for quick compare with other filters you want to test with.

1 Like

I would also suggest experimenting with the add noise parameter to suppress over-processing of the image.

1 Like

In my testing, adding a bit of grain can also help with this. I’ve used the grain setting somewhere between 3-8 to good effect depending on the content.

1 Like

I have had decent success with overlaying the original video and making it transparent maybe 40%. It adds more intelligent noise (instead of just grain). Yes you will lose some clarity, but at least the video is useable. It’s a compromise, but better than the original.

2 Likes

Tell me about it! Looks like this woman went thru a freak transporter accident:

And this is what happens when TVAI tries to be smart, and deal with removing noise ‘intelligently.’

Now she looks like a Trill. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You can restore faces quite weill, given you´re using Gaia and have the face covering the image to a good amount. But even then its still a question of Compositing and texture management (Denoising and Renoising)

2 Likes

As dumb as this sounds, it’s actually not even a bad idea. :joy:

The other side of this coin naturally is, that TVAI should always consider the original frame for ‘sanity check’ itself, so as not to distort faces too much. But it seems TVAI does no such thing, and outputs results according to what their trained models dictate exclusively.

For the most part, Gaia does seem to leave things alone if it can’t enhance it. If you can clean the noise and grain out of the source before processing it in TVAI, Proteus manual with just the revert compression turned up does a good job of not distorting distant faces too much.

I upscaled and enhanced an mp4 video using the Upscale to HD Preset. (420 to 720).
The results were terrible. Faces became distorted, eyes looked ghastly and movements looked blurred and unnatural. The results were awful !!
This is the second time I have tried Video AI with two different videos that I wanted to enhance. Both attempts were a bust.
I would appreciate some guidance on settings that I can try. I am ready to give up on this software.

what AI you used?

What people have to remember is that the source is king.
Feeding in low quality video, no video AI is going to perform well as a one click solution.
The marketing hype that company’s use give the impression this is possible.

I’d suggest choosing a model to use, then use original, 2x, 4x on scale and see which one provides the best output.

2 Likes

Hello,

I double what menditsa says and, if you run V4, I’d suggest starting with the model Proteus with settings Auto. If that doesn’t look nice try the manual settings below and let us know if something watchable comes out.

Thank you for your help. I will try the new settings and see if I get better results. Happy New Year !!

@margaux.topazlabs
You merged this topic into another topic.
The topic you merged this into is related to version 3.0.11.
We were replying to version 4 and you are really confusing things by merging this into another topic.