Does Sharpen Al put out the processed image in the same size as the original?

The original of this image is 4041x2172. I then processed it through Sharpen Al and the image came out as 1086x724. Does all Topaz apps reduce the output size, except for Gigapixel Al of course?

9 Likes

It shouldna dun this!

I decided to make more tests since the image shown in this post was an EDITED one. This time I took a shot and put it straight into Sharpen Al from the camera and the output size was exactly the same as the original. I also did that for DeNoise Al and the results were the same. Sorry to cry wolf. I think once an image has been edited, the metadata might vary depending on the software you use. And my earlier confusion was caused by incorrect metadata.

2 Likes

I just found this thread while pondering this same question. Can you tell me what format (jpeg, .nef, etc) you used as the original input to keep the file size the same?

I just ran a test with Sharpen AI 3.6.6 on an image that started at 43.8mb NEF (Nikon raw) as a TIFF and it grew to 125.6mb. Then I saved the same image again as TIFF but applied LZW compression and it is 157.9mb. Isn’t LZW supposed to compress?

The OP was talking about image dimensions, whereas your question relates to file size. Different things.
Anyway, someone on this or another forum once explained to me that DNGs created by external editing programmes are really TIFs in a DNG wrapping. He also explained why they are much larger than the originals, although I can’t remember the technical details,
I once did an experiment and compared DNGs created by Topaz DeNoise AI, On1 NoNoise AI and and DxO PhotoRaw, and the Topaz ones were by far the largest. I have no idea why, but it probably depends on the differing AI algorithms. It’s likely the TIFs would also vary in size as well, for the same reasons.
Why the DNZ should be larger than the non-compressed version is a puzzle to me as well. I just processed an 11MB DNG in Sharpen AI as a standalone, the TIFs were 73 and 95MB respectively. The DNG was also 73MB. Go figure.
Processing the image as a layer within On1 PhotoRaw resulted in a file of 76Mb.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I must have read the comment wrong. I too, do not understand the file size increase and attribute it to AI algorithms.

Thanks again!

great color, very sharp. Nicely done.