Do you have duplicate TIF files in the Lightroom -> DeNoise AI -> Sharpen AI workflow?

Hello everyone,

I’m noticing a behavior in my workflow that I’ve run by the Topaz technical support folks without resolution. I wanted to post in the forum to confirm this behavior or to learn how to improve my workflow. Note that this occurs whether I start the workflow with a RAW image via the Lightroom plugin, or if I open the RAW image directly in DeNoise AI to start the workflow.

Here’s my workflow:

1. Open a bird.raw file from Lightroom via the plugin to open as a TIF in DeNoise AI and then apply changes
  2. Open the bird-Edit.tif file from Lightroom via the plugin in Sharpen AI (mask #1 → apply light sharpening to bird feathers) and then apply changes
  3. Open the bird-Edit-Edit.tif file from Lightroom via the plugin in Sharpen AI (mask #2 → apply medium sharpening to bird eye and beak) and then apply changes
  4. Apply Lightroom edits and export the bird-Edit-Edit-Edit.tif file as bird.jpg to post to Facebook

Here’s what I see on my disk when I’m done with the above:

Bird.raw (24 MB)
bird-Edit.tif (140 MB)
bird-Edit-Edit.tif (140 MB)
bird-Edit-Edit-Edit.tif (140 MB)

Are other workflow users seeing this same output? I understand only the first TIF file is a duplicate of the RAW and the others are storing sequential editing changes. However, If I keep up this workflow, I’ll fill my disk with these duplicate TIF files in no time. :blush:

For those of you familiar with Lightroom, the only option I have to edit a photo via the plugin is to choose “Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments” as the other options are not available for RAW or DNG files.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Paul

Windows 10
Lightroom Classic v10.1
DeNoise AI v2.3.6
Sharpen AI v2.2.2

Hi,

Can you select Edit Original at step 2? If so, perhaps you could adjust your workflow to the following:

1. In LR, Edit a copy with LR adjustments of bird.raw in DeNoiseAI.
  2. In LR, Edit Original of bird-Edit.tif in SharpenAI.
  3. In LR, Edit Original of bird-Edit.tif in SharpenAI.
  4. Apply LR edits and export bird.jpg.

This would produce a single tif. However, this would have some side effects. For example, if you later determined that you were not satisfied with your masking in step 3, you would have to redo step 2 first. Basically, the creation of all the tif versions is to maximize non-destructive editing workflows. And because of this, I believe there is no way to avoid the creation of the first tif.

Best regards

ScottO,

Thanks for your response.

The only option I have to edit a photo via the plugin is to choose “Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments” as the other options are not available for RAW or DNG files.
What to Edit
Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments (available)
Edit a Copy (greyed out)
Edit Original (greyed out)

Sounds like the creation of the TIF files is working as designed. Although I only save maybe a couple of dozen RAW files from a photoshoot those extra TIF files are going to drive up my disk space requirements. :slightly_frowning_face:

Paul

Yes, but…

When you do this step, you’re editing a tif. So you should be able to select any of the modes, including Edit Original.

In my example workflow, the only time you’d be editing a RAW/DNG would be step 1. That step would create the first tif and should be the only step with greyed out options. From then on, you’d be repeatedly editing that tif with Edit Original.

Best regards

1 Like

@ScottO,

Thank you for the reminder about continuing to edit the original TIF later in the workflow once it’s created. Now I just have the 24MB RAW and the ~140MB TIF file for each photo.

Paul

2 Likes