Disappointing Results

I’m a new user, so perhaps I’m doing this wrong. But I’m trying to repair a blurry, low-light cellphone shot. The results are marginally better, but nothing like the examples on the website which had me purchase both Photo AI and Gigapixel.

Any suggestions on how to do this better?

1 Like

I am far from an expert, but it looks like the problem with the image is that it has huge amounts of JPG artefacts, so it’s not something that can be dealt with easily by a programme whose main aim is to denoise and sharpen. GPAI can deal with artefacts to some extent, but yours are way too much I think.

1 Like

could be worth a try to scale down the image the classic way before scaling it up via photo ai. please offer the original image so we can give it a try!

1 Like

Thanks. And I would understand if that is the case, but isn’t that exactly what the images on the Topaz website are suggesting the software can fix?

2 Likes

Thanks!

I’m not trying to scale the image, just clean up the artifacts and recover some detail.

Here is the original file. I’m not expecting miracles (though the website seems to suggest that’s what it’s capable of), but I can barely see any difference between the original and what the program is generating.

1 Like

How about this:

I used Photo AI with upscale x 4 and this values:

And Remove Noise with this values:

Thanks. I appreciate you trying, but it’s just smoothed over and I can get results like this with denoise.

When I bought the app, I was expecting it use AI to generate detail, like this screengrab from the website.

(I smell a refund)

1 Like

Here’s another example with motion blur. All the program wants to do it smooth out the hair detail even more.

1 Like

Would you mind sending in some more information to get a better understanding of the problem you are having with this particular type of image? Please send the following information:

1. The original image file.
  2. The processed image.
  3. A screenshot or description of the settings panel so I can see what adjustments were turned on.

You can securely submit your image(s) to my Dropbox using the link below.

Dropbox File Request

Please be sure to send me a note to let me know you sent something.

If the picture you have posted is the original and has not been cropped then I suggest that you adjust the camera settings in your phone to take a higher resolution ie larger picture in order to get a better picture. The picture that Imo posted is about the best that ANY software would be able to achieve from such a very poor, low resolution original. You will never get any really decent results unless you make changes to your phone. Basically what I’m saying is “garbage in, garbage out”

Regards.

1 Like