Difference in Render Quality with CPU vs GPU, for Video Enhance AI

I’m a little blown away at the difference in quality between rendering with the GPU vs. CPU, with the CPU being drastically higher quality. Both took approximately the same time to render. I wasn’t expecting there to be any difference in quality—just speed of processing.

Conversion settings: Gaia-CG v5, scaling 640x480 to 1440x1080, saved as MP4. The single difference in render settings was GPU vs. CPU, with the CPU output on the left. Notice the jagged diagonal lines in the image on the right. GPU is AMD Radeon R9 M390 2GB.

2 Likes

Damn! I wonder what is the best CPU for upscaling?

This is quite interesting! What CPU are you using? I might make my own try later today, I was going to download the new version but read a couple of bugs on the new release thread so might as well wait a bit on the new version and make some test of my own, thanks for this!

Why is CPU encoding still so slow? @taylor.bishop it would be good for the future update to speed up the encoding speed for the CPU

I’m running a late 2015 iMac, 4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 32GB of RAM.

I would love to see someone do back-to-back comparisons of the same video, processed with the exact same settings in VEAI, on different processors. In theory, there should be no differences. I’m very curious as to why the GPU is lower quality output. It’s quite possible that my Radeon is just a piece of junk.