DeNoiseAI - color noise not handled very well?

I like the power of Denoise AI, but I find the same issue: I shoot Olympus OMD Em-1MkII raw images, and open them in LightRoom Classic Whether I edit them or export them to DeNoise AI as tiffs or dng’s, if I set the luminance noise and color noise to 0, the color noise does not get removed well at all. If I leave the color noise slider at the default setting of 25 the luminance noise and any residual color noise gets removed quite well by DeNoise AI. This seems true for any image I use, regardless of the ISO setting.

Like you, Walter, I’m shooting mostly with an Oly EM (though I’m lower class than you & use the EM5 ii). Also, like you, I always start my processing in ACR prior to working with tools/plugins, etc. in a host program (in my case its Ps CC 2019). I too apply a certain amt of denoising in ACR prior to moving to Ps. So I’ve mostly found no serious problems wrt to Color Noise using the DeNoise AI Ps plugin. (But, then, I also wash my dishes before I put them in the dishwasher at home - so how effective is my dishwasher if I feel compelled to do that…).

1 Like

I had just assumed that starting with no adjustments, with luminosity and color noise reduction zeroed out in LR or ACR would give DeNoise AI the best shot at full noise removal, but I think there really is a weakness with it dealing directly with color noise. I wonder if a truly sophisticated version of DeNoise AI would be better with Luminance Noise and Color Noise sliders?

1 Like

I always zero out the sharpening in ACR so as not to end up over-sharpening when I get into Ps CC. But some basic denoise I always do in ACR.

An older photo that’s only JPG or a cellphone shot (that I didn’t capture in raw) I open directly in Ps & rely completely on DeNoise (or whatever denoise program) to handle noise removal completely in Ps.