DeNoise AI weird color

The good news: it really does greatly remove grain without affecting sharpness. The bad news: it screws up the color and contrast. Here’s a screen shot of a Panasonic RW2 raw file before and after being DeNoised to DNG. What can I do about this?
DeNoiseAI_test1
Tom Nelson

On a hunch, I tried converting my RW2 to DNG before using DeNoise. The color is good but the contrast is very flat. It’s much better but still not good. I guess DeNoise doesn’t like RW2 files!
DeNoiseAI_test2

Topaz has to have the correct camera RAW profile to avoid messing up the color. I’ve seen a lot of the same complaints for various cameras.
Raw files from my Sony work OK- The RAW profiles are also camera specific, not brand, so one Panasonic camera RW2 might be fine, another Panasonic camera model will have a different RW2 and might not.

1 Like

Thanks Rondo249. It gets weirder. My native RW2 format (and the DNG derived from it) have a size of 4592x3448 pixels. Processing in DeNoise AI finds image area outside the frame of the RW2 and changes the pixel size to 4608x3464.
DeNoiseAI_test3

I have processed RW2 files in Topaz Denoise and other Topaz products, and I have found the same problem when converting to DNG. However, I’ve not had the problem when converting to TIFF. I’ve also had the same problem when converting ARW format to DNG. My conclusion was that the problem Topaz has is not with the input file but with its DNG conversion.

It doesn’t work for me, Mond. The TIFF from a DNG looks just as bad. After some work, I’ve made a ACR preset that gets the DeNoise DNG pretty close to the original.DeNoiseAI_test4

So far in the evolution of the products you refer to the colors have either gotten a bit desaturated or flattened due to some contrast being stripped out.

My way to cope is to think of products like DeNoise AI & Sharpen AI (which I use in that order in my workflow) as “functional” vs “creative” software tools. I start with them to remove noise and crisp up image capture. Then I move on to the software that is more creative and lets me bring out dimension or points of interest in my images. The final step for me is usually a light output sharpening. If, while doing that creative processing in the middle part of the workflow, I end up with unneeded worms or other artifacts in my image(s) I sometimes do another round of light DeNoise then the final output sharpening (suited to the medium where my image will be viewed - digital, print, etc.).

Bottom line: I never expect an image I’ve just run through DeNoise AI or Sharpen AI to be the ta da final photo… Even when they get the images to be crisper and less desaturated I know I, personally, would then keeping working with them.

1 Like

It’s too bad my example images have fallen off this thread. In any case, my Nikon NEF images go through DeNoise AI with accurate color, significantly eliminated grain, and no loss of sharpness.

The exact problem occurred last night with an NEF file that was denoised and apparently saved to dng.

Les