DeNoise AI v2 doesn't denoise unless I run it as administrator

Please see below the information you requested plus a screenshot of preferences:

Application & Version: Topaz DeNoise AI Version 2.0.0
Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0)
Graphics Hardware: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 441.66
CPU RAM: 32647 MB
Video RAM: 11264 MB Total, 6144 MB In Use
Preview Limit: 8000 Pixels

0_preferences

I would raise a support request as they can login remotely to your computer and check your hardware as with that configuration you should have no issues.

Ok, thanks.

I had the same problem.
In my case the installer created the directories that should go to “%LOCALAPPDATA%\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Denoise AI” (i.e. inside your user’s local app data folder “C:\users\ YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Local”) in the Administrator users folder “C:\users\ Administrator\AppData\Local\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Denoise AI” instead.
Also some registry keys get created in the wrong place.

To fix this I had to

1. Copy the folder “C:\users\ Administrator\AppData\Local\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Denoise AI” with all subdirectories and their content to my own user’s %LOCALAPPDATA% folder.

2. Fix registry entries.
    In my case the installer created the registry keys correctly for the Administrator user but not for my normal user account. Specifically the key where the path to the folder where Denoise AI finds its resources was plain empty. I had to manually enter the correct path in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz DeNoise AI\appMain\tgrcFolderLocation. One thing to pay attention to when doing that ist that you need to use forward slashes instead of backslashes.
    Because a picture tells more than a thousand words I attach two screen shots where you can see the correct location for these keys and the values needed for the most important ones.

Keep in mind that modifying the registry can potentially damage your system. So always be sure to make a backup before using the registry editor (type “regedit” on the command line)!

This information comes with no warranty that it will work for you. But maybe some Topaz guys will eventually read it and hopefully will fix the installer so that it creates directories and registry keys in the right place from the start. No user should need to fix what they broke.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ll give it a go, thanks!

Success! I reinstalled it again, but this time I didn’t run the installer as administrator and for installation path I used C:\users<my user name>\AppData\Local. Now everything works perfectly without having to run the software as administrator! Thanks so much for the help, @digit42 :smiley:

Same installer problem seems to be valid both for Mac and Windows: incorrect location of resources, naturally differently on different systems.

I hope that Topaz will fix this ASAP.

As a side note: It is interesting to note that so many people are reporting this to work ok both in Mac and Windows platforms. They must be running the system with full admin privileges all the time, which is really not that good thing to do.

1 Like

I have exactly the same problem. Run windows 10, latest patch. Installed as admin and I can open Denoise but no manipulation on the image takes place… I paid 50+ bucks for a program that seems t be in a prerelease version…
Could the developer fix that so I dont have to dig into my computer and try to fix obvious things?

Also, a zoom with mouse wheel would be nice…

1 Like

Hi Przemko,

Did you see my latest post about how I managed to fix this? You may try and see if it works for you too. Here it is: DeNoise AI v2 doesn't denoise unless I run it as administrator - #16 by svetlina_design

The problem is that when I run as admin, I do not see half of my directories, nor pics in them… It sucks… So what do you suggest, just uninstall and reinstall? I must do it as admin, the installation. But then I run as a regular user (no admin privileges- to thwart viruses). I am a bit exasperated here…

Yes, you should uninstall the program and then install it again, but this time as a regular user, not as admin. Can you try this and see if it works? It worked for me.

The weird thing is that after the install, the TOPAZ icon does not shop up in the windows pull down list of programs…

Uninstall does not work either… In the sense that the uninstall in the TOPAZ folder dos nothing and if I use the windows uninstall, I need to do it as admin… No idea why

OK, I am DISSAPOINTED…
I paid 50+ buck for the DeNoiseAI. I must admit I reported problems to Topaz Labs and got a general answer. Now, with the change in the policy (after I paid under the previous rules) my disappointment soared… And the reasons are as follows

• I cannot get the software to run. I installed it on two different laptops with two different video cards (NVidia or Radeon). Both are graphic workstations so the issue of lack of power is redundant.
  • I got some hints as to how to make it run but they are useless (thank you for trying anyway). The key reason is that in order to prevent computers form being hijacked we do not allow run programs as Administrators (we can install them as such but not tun). DenoisAI is THE ONLY program hat makes problems with that. All the other programs (lightroom, photoshop, ImageJ etc) run with NO PROBLEM whatsoever.
  • The software is supposed to be 2.0 while it behave as 0.2 release version. C’mon guys… You CAN do better than that…
  • with changing of the policy I seriously consider asking my money back ( I still have bout 3 weeks to do that) since I have been sold a promise NOT a working software
  • in fact as a developer I would be ashamed to release SO POORLY prepared program. Seriously. DO I really need to jump some hoops before it works??? Can’t you make a decent install script?
  • the software DOES have a potential but you work very hard to make me (and many others I guess) to stop using it. We need RESULTS not promises
  • I am not a professional so I cannot throw my money around to see what works best for me. This is money that I want to feel is well spend and where do I stand now? TOPAZ? TELL ME?
  • you should have three lines of product. Basic, Advanced and Professional. For basic you give a a bundle of 2-3 modules for small price(user picks the modules- mix and match). For Advanced you give a few modules more (4-5k same rules) . Professional- you give the Full Monty. And you give two payment plans for each. A yearly update program and a Permanent update program. And you NEVER put it in cloud like Adobe.

Have you raised a support request at the main website?

It seems like an issue with permissions if you have no error messages or crashes.

Same problem with the DeNoise AI demo. Very surprised that Topaz Labs has not fixed this even 8 months later. I understand this can be worked around by fixing incorrect registry entries myself, or by installing the program outside of Program Files (which no one should ever have to do), but this is a commercial product and I would expect the developer to care more.

1 Like

it is very difficult to understand what the issue really is as I have never had this problem on Win 10, it installs and runs correctly. You may need to see what you have running at the time you install as there are many third party apps that cause issues with many apps such as Fresco Logic, My Endpoint, ASUS Sonic, RIVA Turner, Fast Picture Viewer, Duet Display, Free Anti-Virus apps etc., etc.

Note also that all Windows applications need to be installed with Admin installation rights, not just Topaz apps.

So all I can advise is install as Admin and make sure any 3rd party apps are turned off and turn off your security anti-virus app whilst installing.

I have never seen incorrect registry entries and never had to install out of Program Files folder. Try rebooting your PC.

Checked what’s going on with DenoiseAI, and, yes, it’s still writing its DataPath and InstallPath registry entries to the administrator’s local user key, which is not accessible to any other users.

The DataPath key is set to C:\ProgramData\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz DeNoise AI. DenoiseAI stores its TensorFlow models in the tgrc subfolder of it. The administrator can access this subfolder correctly, however for all other users, DenoiseAI can’t find the DataPath key and the path becomes just \tgrc, which translates to C:\tgrc, which is not where the models are and to which it has no access.

That’s almost eight months since a major error has been reported, explained, and still not fixed.

Also worth mentioning that DenoiseAI keeps trying to write its logs to its (read-only) Program Files folder.

ProgramData should not be read only to Authenticated Users and the tgrc folder should be created in that directory along with the logs.

Please raise a support request at the main website and they will be able to advise.