DeNoise 3.0

I am currently working through some cityscapes and landscapes that I had previously denoised with Topaz DeNoise AI. I have to say that DxO, on the whole does a better job. That’s Photo Lab, not Deep Prime. For non Lightroom users Deep Prime is not satisfactory, since it works on the original raw file that may or may not be underexposed. In Photo Lab, it’s possible, with one click, to adjust exposure before using the Deep Prime module. Where Topaz DN AI falls down is on colour noise reduction, so that I find, for example, grey cobblestones turn out all smeary with magenta and cyan.
In due course, I’ll be looking at some wildlife photos, where it’s reported Deep Prime can’t handle detail such as feathers.
Meanwhile, I anxiously await On1’ s contribution.
By the way, what’s ACR?

1 Like

I’m sure Adobe Camera Raw was meant with ACR mention.

1. Indeed PhotoLab.
  2. It happens that I never do a “one click adjustment”.
  3. ACR stands for Adobe Camera Raw.
  4. It happens that I might have no that bad color noise and/or severely underexposed images, so Topaz handles my files way better than DeepPeime, wherever the signal-to-noise ratio is suitable to separate.
  5. And, what’s important, DAI and SAI are adjustable, unlike DeepPrime.

Thanks for the clarification.
The images I am working on at the moment were mostly taken at or soon after dawn or at sunset and after. There is a lot of noise in the shadow, especially colour noise. This is where I have less success with DeNoise AI, however much I adjust the sliders. I will post a comparison later today.
I agree that the one click approach in the DxO PureRaw app is not adequate, but Photo Lab does have a slider, even though it’s nigh impossible to see what it’s doing as the loupe viewer is way too small!
I have trial versions of the two DxO apps but am unlikely to purchase them. I am still waiting to see what On1 will come up with later this month with its NoNoise plug-in, since On1 Photo Raw is my editor of choice.

Thanks. As an old jerk who started taking pictures 40 years ago and never had any reasonable success with chemical push-processing of film, I do appreciate the importance of proper exposition as well as limitations of the existing technologies (even though they are improved vastly over the past ones). When I was young and did some night “cityscapes” and landscapes, I used tripod and film ISO50-100, and no problems when they were exposed properly :slight_smile:

We should probably continue this discussion in the specific thread on the pros and pluses of these two programmes. That’s where I’ll post some samples soon:

I did some testing by comparing the original photos posted on the On1 site and running them through Topaz Denoise, against the On1 results they posted. Denoise AI beat them even though their results were pretty good and may be faster when released. For me it wasn’t worth buying since I own Denoise and it was superior.

If you want to make a discussion on various photo/noise reduction programs you should start it on the General discussion section.

On1 NoNoise hasn’t been released yet, but its current built-in noise reduction is pretty bad. I guess you are looking at the promotional photos for NoNoise.
I have already pointed the way to the thread that compares DxO with Topaz: see above.

Yes, I was using the On1 promotional photos and it may be improved when released.

My denoise and sharpen was working before I installed a newly purchased Gigapixel and now nothing works. I have uninstalled/reinstalled at least three times. They try to open but go to a gray screen and just sits there. What is the fix for this? I’m a photographer with a deadline.

When you say they aren’t working, what is your GPU and the GPU Driver Version. GigaPixel installs into a separate folder to the other 2 so it wont affect them. Have you updated GPU drivers or OS also?

If GigaPixel opens OK go to the Help Menu, select Graphics info., press Copy and paste the info here.

Nvidia drivers are up to date. Performance preferences are on GPU Graphics. System is up to date windows 10 64bit pro with a GTX 1050i GPU. The Denoise is now working as I have only installed that one. I will wait till I finish my editing then try installing Sharpen Ai.

Thank you for the DeNoise update!!

My previous version of DeNoise was working fine, and the update to 3.0 went without problems, but now DeNoise simply won’t start up. The little blue spinning circle runs for a few seconds, and nothing more happens. Uninstalled and reinstalled, same result. FYI, I running it on a Dell XPS with Windows 10. Any ideas as to what the issue may be?

Where do I go to get the new upgrade, I am so confuced.

1. Remove your email from your user name, this is a public forum and everyone can see it.
  2. Help menu, check for updates will find any updates.
1 Like

I had the same nice surprise last night… can[t wait for the GAI… where should I be watching?

@adam.mains

I have a hard time comparing images in the comparison preview (Especially with macro images).

Because I have to look with my eyes for details that may have changed, but I don’t want to.

If there was the possibility to cycle through the different models (full screen) that would be great.

Hey, I’m currently in the process of updating comparison view for DeNoise’s next release and am interested in how you imagine this working. Are you talking about a full screen similar to single view that are cycled around, or being able to rotate the options in comparison’s 2x2 view, or something else?

Exactly.
With mouse wheel or arrow keys.
Then its easier to see the differences moving.
The workaround here at the moment is to compare the different models via layers in Photoshop or Affinity photo

1 Like