De-Interlacing (Dione parameter) and Proteus (De-Noise) Combined into One parameter

I had tried using the > Dione Interlaced Dehalo to remove lines and then the resultant video clip and use Proteus to get rid of the noise and sharpen, but the results were not good. Not very clean video results.

After numerous experiments, I found what works is to use Adobe Premiere Pro, click on the clip in the timeline > choose Field Options > Click Reverse Field dominance and Always Deinterlace. Then export the clip. That clip is now deinterlaced, and then I used that clip in Topaz using Proteus fine-tune using the following.

Revert Comp 100

Recover Details 50

Sharpen 100

Reduce Noise 100

Dehalo 0

Antialias 0

This process produced a very clean video with no lines.

It would be nice if your engineers came up with a parameter that would remove the lines (deinterlace) and do a good job of removing the noise because the process I had to use takes a long time.

You can also use QTGMC inside of an Avisynth script and load that script directly into VEAI and it’ll handle the Avisynth deinterlacing at the same time as doing the upscale with Proteus.

1 Like

really?? what is the procedure for the script??

All I did was use staxrip to generate my avisynth scripts and then just load those avs scripts in Topaz.

good! :slight_smile:

Thanks Dan for the workflow suggestion. It would be awesome if VEAI had some way of performing a straight de-interlace process (no enhancements) before any of the other models are applied.

3 Likes

I agree. Tried Dione and it de-interlacing always looks worse than plain de-interlacer from other tools.
In fact you can still see the interlaced lines, as most are not correctly compensated.

The AI clearly fails here to predict the missing lines, which makes no sense at all.
Either Dione is working incorrectly, is still not mature or maybe VEAI expects a certain input format to actually work correctly.

And the preview (of the original footage) is actually not showing the raw interlaced footage.
VEAI is already applying some sort of deinterlacer to it. Now I wonder, is this pre-deinterlicer actually feed into Dione?

2 Likes