De-interlacing advice

Looking for some advice on dealing with NTSC interlaced 480p videos. I’ve been using the auto de-interlace model within Topaz, but it’s giving me weird artefacts. Any sort of motion in the video, such as face/hand movements, the image tears where motion is taking place, and has a white outline, or flashes white for a moment.

Is there any software/techniques to de-interlace outside of Topaz someone could suggest I try for better results? If it’s already de-interlaced, I can go straight to a more normal Topaz enhance model.

Thanks in advance.

Dione interlaced Robust works differently @ 200% and 400% and I’ve noticed it has alot to do with how the source was compressed before it went into VEAI. Sometimes DTD doesn’t even really seem to deinterlace well @ 200% and it leaved stray pixels all over but @ 400% sometimes it completely gets rid of the interlacing and the artifacts smooth out. Sometimes DTDS (dione interlaced robust dehalo I think it’s called) comes out much smoother but sometimes it dehalo’s way too much. Have you tried any of this?

First you would have to determine, what kind of interlace-artefacts you have. There are many different causes for the jagged lines apperaing in footage:

• pure/original interlace: footage that was originally produced/filmed with interlace equipment. For example a TV Camera at a TV Studio (TV Series, TV dokumentarys, news, commercials, etc…)…
  • mixed footage like TV-Shows that where originally filmed on chemical film and then put into an interlaced workflow to add titles, effects, etc…
  • telecined material, that was originally 24fps film, but then was converted to NTSC - here some frame doubling occured, and due to the field based nature, some originally progressive frames are seperated, introducing interlace lines.
  • a mix of all of the above :slight_smile:

Determining the original origin of your footage is the first step. In some rare cases, reconstructing the original progressive frames (if there are any) or getting the motion consistent (stuttering motion in movement) or finding a common fps ground (in mixed up situations) can be a challenge (ask the DS9/SG1 Fans…)

It helps to get the basics right and google some of the following terms to get a better understaning:

inverse telecine, pullup/pulldown, variable framerate, film/ntsc conversion, BOB, Field/frame, etc…

one not so bad basics explanation also is to be found here: www.100fps.com.

doom9.org or videhelp also can be a good ressource… It´s a rabbit hole :slight_smile:

For simple starters you can load your footage into virtualdub, which only starts to treat interlace lines if you tell it and offers a simple preview of what you have at hand. It has some basic inverse-telecine or pulldown capabilities and also basic de-inertalcing filters (YADIF, fram doubling, BOB, etc.)… Play around a little…

The mostt comprehensive deinterlace out there is QTGMC - which is actually a skript around plugins and other skripts included in Avisynth or vapoursynth (frameservers) - if you are not familiar with Frameservers, head over to avisynth.nl and take a look.

For a simple acccess to this tool, download ripbot264 from doom9 website (google it, eassy to find), input your video and see what the automatic detection of ripbot makes of the video. It incorporates inverse telecine, frame handling and QTGMC with very little “inside knowledge” needed to access it and gets many cases right without any user interaction…

For access to more parameters of QTGMC, download “hybrid” by selur, which offers any knob and lever in existance from QTGMC as well as other deinterlacers/pulldown/ivtc… etc… a lot to play aorund…

Staxrip is another worthy mention - although it takes the same amount of learning it as hybrid, while being a little outdated in comparison - but worth a try…

These are all examples, MANY other possibilities are out there.

The more info about your own level of expertise you give, the more accurate help can be.

TLDR: Downlaod Ripbot264, throw your video in and see what happens… If the result in preview is what you want, look for the temp fiolder of ripbot (c:\temp in most cases), take the preview.avs file inside “job1” folder and throw it into veai-… with any luck, your done :slight_smile: )

4 Likes