Confused about Filter vs Look in Topaz Studio 2

I would be grateful if someone could help me understand why there are differences between a filter added as a filter and a filter that is added as part of a Look. My expectation is that when I apply a Look, I will end up with a number of adjustment layers consisting of different filters. For example, when I apply the Look called “Cartoon Natural” I end up with adjustment layers labeled Quad Tone, Vignette, Curves, Edges, Basic Adjustment and Abstraction. When I expand the Abstraction layer, I have the same sliders that I would if I had added the Abstraction filter to my image instead of a Look. This is what I expected.

Glow seems to work differently. If I apply a Look that has a Glow layer I have a different set of sliders to adjust the Glow effect than I do if I apply the Glow filter and I don’t understand why. As you can see from following the steps below, when I apply a Look from the Glow category I have more sliders at my disposal than I do if I simply apply the Glow filter. Why is that?

Steps using a filter:
Step 1: Open image
Step 2: Add Filter Glow
Step 3. Click on the Glow layer to view the sliders

These are the sliders:
Glow Type
Glow Strength
Effect Sharpness
Detail Strength
Brightness
Contrast
Saturation
Finishing Touches:
Effect Coverage
Coverage Transition
Sharpness
Sharp Radius

Steps using a Look:
Step 1: Open Image
Step 2: Add Look Contrast Cables
Optional Step 3: Delete Look components Smudge, Vignette, HSL Color Tuning so that only the Glow layer remains.
Step 4: Click on the Glow layer to view the sliders

These are the sliders available in the Glow layer:
Glow Type
Glow Strength
Effect Sharpness
Electrify
Simplify Details
Edge Color
Detail Strength
Detail Size
Brightness
Contrast
Saturation
Line Rotation
Glow Spread

• Electrify, Simplify Details & Edge Color are available after setting Effect Sharpness more than 0.00

• Detail Size is available after setting the Detail Strength to more than 0.00

• Line Rotation and Glow Spread are available after setting Glow Strength more than 0.00

Also remember that “Primary” prefix is used in conjunction with the Primary and you have the choice of Light or Dark Glow. “Secondary” prefix is used in conjunction with the Secondary and you have the choice of Light or Dark Glow.

1 Like

The first list appears to match with TS1 and Glow 2, and the second is more like what we had in the original Glow.

Studio 1 & 2 are the same.

Thank you for clearing this up!!!

1 Like