Colorize Black&White Model

Please consider adding a “Video Stable(no flickering) Colorize” model for black and white films.

You can take a look at the code from GitHub - jantic/DeOldify: A Deep Learning based project for colorizing and restoring old images (and video!)

Or even get a licence for commercial usage of DeOldify and integrate it with VEAI.

In addition, colourise.sg has a better effect. This Singaporean style is more suitable for the coloring of old black and white photos in Asia. If possible, please add this model, of course, models with other regional styles are also worth looking forward to

This is an interesting idea for old footage.

1 Like

DeOldify is a great tool. Although it’s still in its kids shoes. Nevertheless, it would be great to be able to use it in a more easy and user friendly way rather than making use of the DeOldify Google Colab which is cumbersome.

It might be difficult to come up with something as good as DeOldify since I believe it uses data from everyone that uses it? In order to improve the model? Also, it’s affiliated with MyHeritage. And I don’t believe that they will give away their business model so easily.

I think VEAI could significantly improve on DeOldify which is an ok colorizer but not at all great yet.

2 Likes

I agree, the current model for DeOldify has some nasty artifacts when the program attempts to colorize the sky in a video around silhouettes of people. A halo forms and it’s quite annoying. The Google Colab notebook UI is extremely hard to learn and requires the user to have internet access, I’m also pretty sure it can only download YouTube videos and colorize them, I don’t think it’s possible to load local files into it. It would be really cool to have it built into VEAI.

1 Like

VEAI is one of the most used programs for restoring old films from what I can tell. It also is the only frame interpolator that I know of that is actually easy to get a hold of and then actually works. DAIN app is one of the most popular interpolators but it just will not work because of lack of VRAM on most machines (it takes a tremendous amount of memory from what I can tell).

1 Like