Cleaning the video from scratches, white and black spots

I did not find the functions of cleaning the frame from film noise (dedot, despot and etc.) points and scratches. Without this, video restoration does not have the proper quality even when zooming. Think about this function, it is necessary!

Removing scratches and other spots and dirt has never been part of this program from what I can see. People that restore video often do that externally, removing spots and scratches with a despeckler in a different video software or by hand and frame by frame.

1 Like

this would be wonderful to have. but I can already see the artifacts it might create, lol.

I second this reply. Scratches and Spots and other “Old film defects” are easily removable with Software like Neat Video or combinations of spot reducer Filters (check out avisynth or virtualdzb filter collections, the later being free and easy to use to get a feeling for the filters). For the commercial video editors, tons of plugins and filters already exist.

The nature of an inference engine (the “AI” part of TVAI) is not very well suited for this kind of task - adding this functionality would be best by adding some traditional filters in the processing qeue, just like filters for corecting colour, contrast, etc… This would be doable…

with the avosynth enabled versions of TVAI, one can achieve this functionality vey easy by filtering prior to frameserving into TVAI - the latest betas don`t have avisynth enabled no more, which I hope will change in the future.

Try to do this when processing cartoons. You will lose a lot of details, lines and necessary elements. For movies, this is a working option in most cases, but it would be nice to have a general AI model.

Did you have any luck using AVFS with the latest 3.1.0 ?
I’m getting constant crashes

I’am using separately “Hybrid” (Selur) with the most *synth plugins. Then I use it.

sorry, no. If I need Avisynth input, I mostly went back to older versions - with the new speedups, I probably have to revisit the issue.

not sure I get your reply correct…

Are you saying that applying traditional filters to cartoons for scratch removal and restauration is not working as good as for real life footage ?

Yes, this often removes details in the animation. (Lines (contours), snow, rain, stars, parts of characters with a quick change of frames (running, sudden movements, etc.).

ah ok, I know what you mean.
If details are removed, its often a matter of tweaking the parameters right ur use another filter. Getting traditional cartoons clean is often very possible.

Sure, it hasn’t been part of TVAI so far and you have to use external programs or do it manually : that’s the point of this feature request ! Nobody wants to do dirt removal manually, it’s one of the most excruciatingly slow things to do.

If TVAI has very vanilla features that can be found elsewhere like deinterlacing, I don’t see why it shouldn’t have dirt cleaning, which is very hard to perform and is well suited to AI training.

I second this request. That would make TVAI perfect for restoring old film.

If a system that could be effectively adapted for such a feature was added maybe they would be able to work something like this in. It certainly would be good for old film but to be honest, it seems that most people use this to upscale bad quality videos from newsreels and whatnot which is usually already fairly clean but also doesn’t need anything else but resolution correction.

Hi, I can’t speak for the free version and I don’t know if you’re aware, Davinci Resolve Studio has many features from the former professional film restoration software Davinci Revival.

Revival is ideally suited to remove dust, scratches, blemishes and fix many other problems you may encounter with the restoration process

Hope this helps

As mentioned by others, I don’t think Topaz offers such feature at the moment, and I have no information will it be added later. It would be nice thing to add , thou.

In the meantime if you are really serious about restoration there are tools available, but they are not free. Here are some I would recommend.

DVO from Filmworkz specilizes in all kind of old film restruration tools. They have quite a niche tools for this kind of things.

You can also try to look into Neat Video plug ins.

Dust and Scratches, Flicker

This clip has been produced by digitizing old film-based records containing multiple scratches and dust particles and also very distracting frame flicker. Neat Video’s Dust and Scratches and Frame Flicker filters reduce those imperfections while preserving details.

This clip has been produced by digitizing old film-based records containing multiple scratches and dust particles. Neat Video’s Dust and Scratches filter reduces those elements while preserving details.

Electric Interference

This clip contains strong visible noise introduced by the air transmission of TV signal and further aggravated by the TV-tuner software’s compression. Neat Video reduces the noise and produces a much cleaner video clip.

1 Like

Hi, I can’t speak for the free version and I don’t know if you’re aware, Davinci Resolve Studio has many features from the former professional film restoration software Davinci Revival.

Revival is ideally suited to remove dust, scratches, blemishes and fix many other problems you may encounter with the restoration process

Hope this helps

1 Like

Ah, thanks. I was aware of some of the tools, but not all. Personally I usually just used Neat Video and sometimes DVO tools.

I do know that resolve has anti dust or dust buster of something like that OFX filter I think.

I haven’t looked too much in other tools. I found this forum threat on Davinci Revival you mentioned. Seems to be quiet old tech that probably stopped developing and would need upgrade if Black magic wants to continue the development process,

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=132493

I am aware of the many retouching tools in resolve and fusion, off course. Although many require manual work and are I would say more clean up and retouching tools than restoration tools.

Someone also made a comment on forums.

Re: Why two dust-removal modes?

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 12:57 am

psychfilms wrote:Can someone explain the rationale for what seems like duplicate tools: the “Dust Removal” option in the COLOR mode and Dust Buster option in the OpenFX-Resolve FX Revival?

They do different things. The “Dust Buster” OFX is a manual tool; And then there’s Automatic Dirt Removal, which is (as it says) automatic.

The other tool was the older one, which previously worked only on DPX files. I believe it’ll work on everything now, but I think it’s somewhat been replaced by the OFX Revival tools. BTW, I’ve been using these tools occasionally on some film restorations, and in many (but not all) cases, they do an amazing job. As with everything else, there are some tricks to using them effectively, some of which are not in the manual.

I would love to see a white (neg) only mode for the Auto mode, and possibly also a black (print) only mode as well, just to refine what the two do. And maybe have the ability to window the area where the dirt-removal takes place, to minimize any artifacts in the frame."

1 Like

Hi, just like to say thank you for your fantastic reply, in fact your whole post on this page has been informative and really helpful

As for DaVinci Resolve I find the ability to Edit, Colour Grade, mix and clean audio and add effects all within one application, without the need to export or jump between programs is invariable.

Plus, since the induction of the Speed Editor accompanied with Topaz Video AI, I find this to be a powerful setup.

Thanks again for your reply very much appreciated

Have a good weekend my friend

1 Like

My pleasure.

1 Like

Following our discussion about DaVinci, l stumbled across this video from Blake Jones about the Revival tools within Resolve thought you might be interested.

https://youtu.be/G_tke3_r1mA

Hope this helps

1 Like