Change location for both models and presets

Hi!

Currently you can change the folder for storing models but presets are still stored in the old original location. I think it would be a good idea to be able to set the same location for both models and presets, to keep them together.

So my proposal is that you have an option for “Model and Presets Folder” and then TVAI creates subfolders for both models and presets and put everything there.

Of course if you want more alternatives than that, you could have two separate options for models and presets folders, but in my case one folder for both would be good enough.

Regards
/Hckej

I’ve moved everything that can be moved off the system drive, and would move everything else TVAI puts in appdata if I could.

Similar proposal for macOS: Change the default model directory to be in the Library/Application Support folder, which is the canonical default location for macOS.

./Library/Application Support/Topaz Video AI/models/*

The advantage is that models do not need to be re-downloaded for every update (which is crazy considering how large they are). Models and config files for applications should not be stored within the application bundle itself.

From @Akila: What I usually do is just create a Symbolic link into %ProgramData%\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Video AI BETA pointing to where my Models are on a different drive. that way you don’t need to fool around with system variables. and it is future proof to all updates as it will always point to your external location when attempted to copy files to those Directories by the Installer.
And your scripts could work with default settings without worrying about variables and no tweaking is needed.

Example of How I did it:

mklink /d "C:\ProgramData\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Video AI" "D:\Temp\Topaz\Video AI"
mklink /d "C:\ProgramData\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Video AI ALPHA" "D:\Temp\Topaz\Video AI ALPHA"
mklink /d "C:\ProgramData\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Video AI BETA" "D:\Temp\Topaz\Video AI BETA"

Sounds like on Windows you can finagle them onto another drive.

Though I would rather there be an option to change the paths in TVAI.

1 Like