Canoeing on Emerald Lake, Yoho National Park

(Yes, the colors were really like this :slight_smile:)

I like how the photo turned out (HDR using Lightroom), so I used Topaz Studio for the digital Frame (first time for me). I liked the texture of the red frame, but I wanted it in a blue color. I found that for me the easiest way to do this was to run Topaz Studio from Photoshop twice - once with a blue color and once with the red frame and then I used Photoshop to bend the red textured frame with luminosity. I wish there were a way of doing this in one step in Topaz Studio - is there?

Final Result

Red Texture

Blue Frame

7 Likes

Nice image but laborious process …

Try opening Frame and selecting “Invert Frame Texture” and the various Hue & Saturation controls on the panel … in this case it was a grey/brown frame used:

1 Like

Nice images, but I wish Topaz would fix the matt so it could be equal all the way around without having to crop non-square photos.

1 Like

Select Mat and then set Mat Width to 1 …

It crops the image, Don. Not something I want for most cases, it’s why I rarely use it.

1 Like

Understand you are looking for something to fit an image to the frame … i.e. resize the image into the frame when it is set to even on the top, bottom & left, right … put a request in as it shouldn’t be that difficult to resize the image equally.

Resizing the canvas would be more difficult.

Hmm, not really, Don. I want the image left well alone once I have finished editing it, crop size and all. The frame should fit around the image not the image to the frame - Photoshop Canvas does this well with definable widths on all four sides. If I took a picture to be framed by a professional framer this is exactly what I would expect to see.

In traditional framing, the left, right, and top margins are equal with the foot margin being increased by about one-third, being more aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Pagination of quality bookwork also follows this rule.

Using Digital Frames with other than a square crop results in either unequal sides or equal sides that crop the original image. They are aware of this deficiency back at the Topaz Factory and I hope one day to see it addressed.

3 Likes

Resizing the canvas is difficult except in Pixel based editors that place the image on a canvas such as Photoshop. By resizing the canvas you are resizing the image.

Very nice image …I like the red frame best.

A very beautiful capture! I was going to suggest the same thing (Invert) that Don made in his comment.
I have used this method to change the color of a frame. I also found that making adjustments to the brightness and contrast sliders will provide different color variations too.

Thank you very much for the very nice comments, @AiDon, @Mond, @BobKramer and @cre8art!

I learned a lot from the discussion of the frame adjustment, so thank you for that. I think I may use the frame more in the future, but I have concerns about cropping the image, like Mond mentioned.

And since you like the red frame the best, Bob, I am glad I included it!

1 Like

I agree with Bob on the red frame. A black frame usually works well on most shots too. Nice work.

Thank you very much, @Artisan-West, and I am glad you like the red frame too!