Can older Starlight Precise models be loaded in Topaz Video 1.7.1?

I’m wondering if there’s any way to run older versions of Starlight Precise on the newest Topaz Video builds. For example, in Topaz Video 1.7.1 I only see Starlight Precise 2.6 available, but not the older variants.

The reason I’m asking is because different versions of Starlight Mini and Starlight Precise seem to work, break, or regress depending on the app version

  • Topaz Video 1.7.1: Starlight Mini works again, but Starlight Precise 2.6 gives me white artifacts.

  • Topaz Video 1.6.1: Starlight Precise 2.5 works almost perfectly, but Starlight Mini doesn’t work at all.

I’m currently on an AMD 7900 XTX and trying to make it last until the next Nvidia generation. The card actually upscales everything I need with great results, so I’m not in a rush to switch. The only issue is that I have to bounce between different Topaz versions because the Starlight models behave differently depending on the build.

Is there any supported (or even experimental) way to load older Starlight Precise models into the latest version of Topaz Video? Or are the models locked to each version?

Thanks in advance — trying to streamline my workflow without constantly reinstalling older builds.

Unfortunately, there is not a supported or unsupported way to access the older Starlight Precise 2.5 model in the later release of the app.

However, running SLP 2.6 with the sharpness value set to 3 will get you pretty close to what 2.5 produced.

But what about installing a beta version equivalent of 1.6.1? My understanding is that beta versions can co-exist with (any) release versions.

In that case, would that beta 1.6.1 only access the models available at the time of its release?

This is reading between the lines of the aims behind the original question - to have the advantage of the latest release version, but also being able to run an older SLP version.

But sorry if I’ve misunderstood.

Regards

Andy

Yes, you’re right — my original question is about how certain models work better on different Topaz versions, and those model versions are only available in older builds of Topaz Video AI.

I’m currently running two versions of Topaz Video AI side‑by‑side:

I installed 1.6.1 first, then made a full copy of that folder. The copied folder is the one I launch when I want to use 1.6.1.

After that, I installed the latest version (1.7.1) normally. During installation I chose “No” when asked about deleting old models.

Now I just open the copied folder when I want to run 1.6.1, and open the regular installed path when I want to run 1.7.1. Both versions run independently without issues.

The reason I made this thread is because I’d prefer to run only one version of Topaz instead of switching back and forth. I have batches that only work correctly in 1.6.1 (Starlight Precise 2.5), and other batches that only work correctly in 1.7.1 (Starlight Mini). I’m trying to figure out if there’s a clean way to handle both workflows without maintaining two separate installs.