BW Effects (Legacy) with Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey? (MacOS)

I have a 13" MacBook Pro early-2015 running MacOS 10.14.6 (Mojave). I just discovered that in order to run the latest version of Lightroom Classic and Photoshop and get all the new features (which look really awesome by the way!), Adobe requires at least MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) or higher. So I find myself having to choose whether to upgrade my MacOS, and then choose which version to upgrade to (Catalina, Big Sur, or Monterey).

In addition to most of the AI programs, I own all of the Topaz legacy products. I understand that there is no longer support for these legacy products, but they all currently seem to run fine on my Mojave MacBook (although I haven’t used most of them in a long tine). I suppose I could ditch most of the legacy products, but the one plugin I’m really in love with and don’t want to lose is BW Effects.

Has anyone tried installing and using BW Effects with MacOS Catalina, Big Sur, or Monterey along with the latest (October) version of Photoshop? Any problems or issues (or workarounds)?

Thanks in advance!

While you wait for a more definitive answer, I can offer some reason for optimism. I am using the most recent version of Big Sur (11.6.1) and, until a couple of weeks ago, the most recent version of Photoshop Elements (Elements 2021). I had stopped using B&W Effects a while ago but, after reading your post, went through the installation process. I had to specify an additional plugin folder that pointed to Topaz plugins (through the Preferences menu). After restarting Elements, it initially indicated that it could not find the plugin but a second attempt was successful. I have read that Elements is basically a subset of Photoshop, employing much of the same code. Therefore, it seems reasonable to me that B&W Effects might still operate under Photoshop. However, I recall that I was anxious about updating to Monterey when it was first available. My one (expected) problem was JPEG to RAW AI. Otherwise, all of my Topaz products continued to function.

1 Like

Awesome - thanks for the insight!