Best settings for digitized old VHS with home recorded films?

30 years ago, homemade films were recorded on camera tapes with a home video camera.

A few years later, these were converted to regular VHS tapes with an RCA cable between the camcorder and the VHS player.

I have recently digitized these with Elgato Video Capture Digitaliser (a VHS-to-PC-KIT) where I connected the VHS player to my computer.

I want to improve the movies as much as possible when watching them on a modern TV/computer. Which settings do you recommend in Video Enhance AI?

Download Staxrip and edit the QTGMC settings on left side to ‘Slow’. This will de-interlace your footage without smoothing it out too much (my tests with VHS, ‘slow’ gets smooth video with good details). It will also change your FPS from 25fps to 50fps so movement is fluid.

Then use the Proteus model and play around with the settings until you are happy with the output.

*Keep eye on background faces as sometimes they can look very strange. I’ve found moving the last slider down -25 helps.

1 Like

I have a bunch of tapes that were filmed directly onto VHS. I tried to work on these last month, this is what I found:
Other programs work better for deinterlacing. I used ffmpeg instead of Staxrip, but it’s not very user friendly.
Then I did tests with several models in VEAI. The sad truth is that most of them just increase the output size but do not look any better or sometimes even different. I think I ended up using Proteus mainly to denoise. For the final encoding, I put it in H265 and just set the CRF to a number that would compress it back to a reasonable size, since it didn’t look much better anyway.

I have like 6 more tapes, but am kind of waiting for VEAI version 3 to come out—in hopes of better results.

the deintelace funciĂłn on Topaz video Enhance AI is fantastic, so use it !!!
you will get perfectly sharp images, with 50 fps built from each field, & no noise, and sharper images

In my tests, Staxrip deinterlaced better, i found topaz deinterlace to be acceptable but something I can’t put my finger on looked wrong. Did several tests but Staxrip on ‘slow’ preset looked a bit more natural (50fps)

hola, je travaille depuis 2016 - 2017 sur des cassettes 8 mm, digital8 et hi8 numĂ©risĂ©es avec un camescope trv21-e :wink: Je peux vous dire que j’en ai fait des tests, nuits et jours, au dĂ©but j’apprĂ©ciais beaucoup veai pour dĂ©sentrelacer, mais Ă  certains passages, des artefacts Ă©taient causĂ©es, alors le meilleur moyen que j’ai pour garder tout les dĂ©tails d’une vidĂ©os, et sans bruit numĂ©rique, c’est avec hybrid et qtcm, + filtre dehao + denoise + sharpen, + sharpen detail, produire la vidĂ©o, ensuite la ramener dans VEAI, et la sortit en HD (pas plus haute dĂ©finition, ca ne sers Ă  rien) avec le modĂ©le sois GAIA Hight, sois Proteus. pour finir je l’importe dans vegas pro pour les finitions (neat video, bbc details, dv fixer, magic sharp etc)
 En faisant comme ceci, on passe de 720x576 Ă  1280 x 920 avec une amĂ©lioration de dĂ©tails, avec les bordures noires bien rĂ©duites et plus aucun artefacts, j’aurai voulu poster une de mes vidĂ©os de comparaisons pour que vous voyiez mais je ne sais pas comment faire, et je pourrai publier sur youtube mais la qualitĂ©e est dĂ©gradĂ©e sur youtube

2 Likes

Bonjour, je ne comprends pas hybrid et qtcm? c est un soft?
MErci

Hybrid is a software, qtgmc a deinterlacer that can be used in Hybrid or even staxrip

1 Like