Aion vs Apollo

Just wondering what everyone’s impressions of Aion are. How do you feel it compares to Apollo, Chronos, or other algorithms like RIFE?

From the movies I have tried all of those models on, I rank them: Apollo, Aion, Apollo Fast, Chronos, Chronos Fast, RIFE.
Apollo works the best all around.
Aion works about the same as Apollo but has this grain texture added to objects in motion—so only a problem for doing slow motion. It should work better at 4K than Apollo. (I don’t care about 4K.)
All the other models have much more obvious visual artifacts.
RIFE is really good at very specific types of videos. Not sure what they are, it was the worst looking of all on the movies I did the comparison with.

1 Like

I should also mention that both Apollo and Aion do some reverse motion blur.

I have never had an issue with Apollo, so I was surprised to see that the release notes for Aion said it had

• Reduced artifacting and ghosting when compared with Apollo and Chronos.

It made me start paying closer attention to Apollo… but I still haven’t seen any issues with it.

Overall, Aion feels unnecessary. Apollo v9 would have been enough.

Most all of the issues I have seen reported about Apollo are from 4K videos.

Makes sense, but that probably has more to do with the PC than the model. I would think that users are more likely to have problems on very high-res vids regardless of which model they’re using.

It has to do with the Tensor framework. Something about it tiles the image and those tiles don’t always lineup on 4K videos. Right now Aion gets around that by not using the Tensor framework.

1 Like